Hot horn button?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I like the Pontiac Formula steering wheels they used on Formulas and Trans Ams in the 70's. Mine on my Bonnewagon I never had an issue with. A buddy has one on a column that the steering shaft somehow got 180° out of line. That meant dismantling and rotating the wheel and horn button also to compensate. Last year I got his horn working with a complete new guts and button . This year the horn does not work and he says the button is getting hot. I know the horn wire is always hot and the button grounds the relay circuit to activate the horn. . Why would the button get hot? A short should blow the fuse.
s-l225.jpg

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Is the battery going dead? Does the horn work? If the horn doesn't work, it could be a high resistance short in the horn, but that would cause a battery draw. I put one in my Bonne, and it's fine. Maybe the contacts corroded?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
The contacts are new, battery charged, horn does NOT work. He had an old windshield leak so everything got wet and rusty. I replaced everything horn related in the column. The horn is even new. Worked great last year. Would the relay cause this?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
hit it with a hammer.
My secret weapon!!! If the relay was stuck slightly "ON", but not enough to power the horn? Because he isn't trying to blow the horn- it is hot all by itself. I see it's on the courtesy light/ clock/ lighter circuit. Clock is disconnected- lighter not wired- lights were working last I asked. Looking at the schematic a relay short should not even reach the horn button.
Horns.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor