Hot start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coolio

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 23, 2018
I have a pontiac 400 with manifolds an mini starter with heat shield wrap. When the car temp reaches between 190°- it only turn over but won’t start. I’m not too sure what else to try any suggestions?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
how fast does it turn over and what carburator do you have. ? It could be timing is too far advanced if it is struggling to turn over or the gas is boiling in the carb.

Reactions: 1 user

Coolio

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 23, 2018
how fast does it turn over and what carburator do you have. ? It could be timing is too far advanced if it is struggling to turn over or the gas is boiling in the carb.
When I cold start the car it cranks almost instantly with no problem, the carburetor is 600 holly.

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
The fuel line is kind of close to the heater hose/valve cover gasket

Try it isolate fuel line from any heat source.

Does it turn over basically the same hot or cold? If it's dragging when hot you might want to check timing as already been mentioned. If it turns over the same speed hot an cold, check for a heat source causing Vapour lock or bowl boil. Feel the fuel lines an bowls on carb trying to eliminate things.

Coolio

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 23, 2018
Try it isolate fuel line from any heat source.

Does it turn over basically the same hot or cold? If it's dragging when hot you might want to check timing as already been mentioned. If it turns over the same speed hot an cold, check for a heat source causing Vapour lock or bowl boil. Feel the fuel lines an bowls on carb trying to eliminate things.
I checked the timing and it’s a couple of degrees before tdc an when I touched the fuel lines neither of them was hot.

paul.m

Master Mechanic
Oct 20, 2018
Sounds like vapor lock , also verify fuel filter is clean , bypass or remove temporarily to confirm . This will also let you know if your losing fuel psi when the engine gets warm.

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
Was the vacuum for distributor unhooked? Did you feel carb? When hot an stalled out, pull throttle lever on carb an see if fuel enters air horns, l should but a warning on this, lol!! If it's a stock engine l believe the timing should be 8 btdc but don't quote me on that, as mentioned before SBC ain't my thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor