Hot wire

DPF 84 Hurst

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 2, 2020
Hi, can anyone tell me if the original wires to the volt regulator plug (looks like a brown wire with a small red wire coming from other side of plug)
Are hot with Key on? I’m looking for a 12 v Key on power source for my swap and before I eliminated, I’d like to see if I can use it for something else. Thank you

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 58

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
I have a similar connector and wire in a harness that goes to the alternator. The best way to identify if it is a 12v key on source is to use a DVOM. To perform this test, I usually attach the black test probe to the battery ground and touch the red probe to the wire in question. You can also perform the same test with a test light.

DPF 84 Hurst

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 2, 2020
I have a similar connector and wire in a harness that goes to the alternator. The best way to identify if it is a 12v key on source is to use a DVOM. To perform this test, I usually attach the black test probe to the battery ground and touch the red probe to the wire in question. You can also perform the same test with a test light.
Thank you. But the reason for the question is because my car is being assembled, and I did a swap on the engine and don’t have a battery in it right at the moment

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
That red wire (circuit 2: Feed, Battry - Unfused) will always have power as long as the battery is hooked up. The brown wire (circuit 25: Feed, Voltage Regulator Controlled) is what feeds to the Gen/Battery light on the dash or a resistor wire in the dash harness if there's a gauge only.

DPF 84 Hurst

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 2, 2020
That red wire (circuit 2: Feed, Battry - Unfused) will always have power as long as the battery is hooked up. The brown wire (circuit 25: Feed, Voltage Regulator Controlled) is what feeds to the Gen/Battery light on the dash or a resistor wire in the dash harness if there's a gauge only.
Thank you

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor