how could i tell if i have a bad windshield wiper motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

the82elco

Apprentice
Jul 24, 2012
California
on my 82 elco im trying to find out whats going on with my wipers when i turn my switch all i hear is a click. could the motor be bad :?:

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
I had the same thing with my elko, i got a new wiper motor and it did the same! Nothing!! So i took it off, when i got my mLibu the wiper motor was working, was all excited, but after 2wks of having the Bu, it had a short and was turing all the time, with the car on and off, which would die out my battery :evil: , ao i took out the fuse and motoer, no wipeblades for the bu either.. Good luck

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
Do some troubleshooting. Find the wiper motor, pull the power wire from it, put the wiper switch into full time on position and see if your wiper motor is getting power at the power wire. Use a test light or voltmeter. If it is getting power then yea your motor may be bad, if it isn't check for bad fuses, relays etc. If all that checks out good then your switch might be bad.

the82elco

Apprentice
Jul 24, 2012
California
80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:
I had the same thing with my elko, i got a new wiper motor and it did the same! Nothing!! So i took it off, when i got my mLibu the wiper motor was working, was all excited, but after 2wks of having the Bu, it had a short and was turing all the time, with the car on and off, which would die out my battery :evil: , ao i took out the fuse and motoer, no wipeblades for the bu either.. Good luck
i would do the same thing but mines is going to be a every day driver. there for i need the wipers

the82elco

Apprentice
Jul 24, 2012
California
CHRIS.O said:
Do some troubleshooting. Find the wiper motor, pull the power wire from it, put the wiper switch into full time on position and see if your wiper motor is getting power at the power wire. Use a test light or voltmeter. If it is getting power then yea your motor may be bad, if it isn't check for bad fuses, relays etc. If all that checks out good then your switch might be bad.
ok thanks

areibel

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2012
Cambridge Springs PA
A late response, but a problem I found- Check the grounding strap. On my wife's Cutlass it was corroded almost in half, it would make the wipers work then stop, then start again. I used a piece of copper wire as a temporary replacement, a new strap is waiting to be installed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor