how do i make my rearend a full posi

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicago2tacoma

Greasemonkey
Apr 25, 2010
Hi...I have a 79 cutlass supream it has olds 260 4.3 v8 and metric th200 trans now but I'm putting 350 sbc and th350 in it shortly I was woundering how I can turn my one wheel squeel rearend into a true full posi preferably without changing the whole axel out if possible.....also would like tips on my engine trans swap....I have no idea what gears are in rearend now..any help would be great thanks

anakputa

Master Mechanic
Nov 27, 2009
Buy a spool, or mini spool. And if you know how to use an arc welder you can weld the side gears to the differential case and have a Lincoln Lock rear-end (showing my age). :rofl:

chicago2tacoma

Greasemonkey
Apr 25, 2010
That diff for 500 dollers at summit says limited slip thought full posi wasn't limited slip stuff. How do you weld the gears where and in how many spots....is it going to mess up my cornering... I just want both the wheels to spin..

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
You DO NOT want a spool for a street car. As your question about turning aludes to, yes it will mess up your ability to safely go around a corner since both wheels will be spinning at the same rate of speed, no matter what.

A posi and limited slip are the same thing. Positraction was just a Chevy term but just about all makes had their own "word" for a limited slip differential. It's like asking for a Kleenex when your refering to a facial tissue or Band-Aid's for adhesive bandages.

RegalBegal

G-Body Guru
Jul 10, 2009
Goldsboro, NC
Head down to the bone yard and find an 88 (i think) or older S10 and pull the gear carrier. You want the older one so you get the correct spline count. While your there, maybe grab the pinion gear as well if the gear ratio is something you want to change while your at it.

86 regal

Greasemonkey
Oct 23, 2009
Hanover, NM
the easiest and cheapest is to weld the spider gears but with a 7 1/2" the axles are just waiting to snap!

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
If you have never installed a set of gears and don't have the proper tools to measure pinion depth and preload, don't mess with it. Get a whole rear, swap it in, and be done with it. There is a very good reason shops get $300 to set up a rear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor