How do you guys make your Parts List for your builds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I just use an old notebook I have and start writing starting from the top of the motor working my way down, writing where to get the stuff and what it cost. This is my current parts list for the '70 SP Buick 350 I picked up recently. It's gonna get added too and changed as I go through it buying what I can when I can. As the title says, how do you do it? Notebook? Word Document? Trying to remember all of it and running to the parts store so many times all the workers know what you need by the look on your face?

Attachments

• 18952657_1437525563006615_1419328523428790123_n.jpg
    18952657_1437525563006615_1419328523428790123_n.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 103

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Excel works great for stuff like this. Also helps with all the math so you can quickly get depressed on how much this is all about to cost you . . . but, hey, it's only money, right?

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Excel works great for stuff like this. Also helps with all the math so you can quickly get depressed on how much this is all about to cost you . . . but, hey, it's only money, right?
If it'll make me go faster, it's worth it.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Seriously, if you don't know excel and need some help or pointers, let me know. Will help if I can?

• Friendly
Reactions: 1 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
I usually know what I need, when I see it on a scouting trip to the local junkyards.... :rolleyes:

otherwise, yeah, multiple trips to the parts store... good thing I used to work at the ones I usually go to, and can look/get the stuff I need myself.

and NO, I don't want to know just how much I've spent already.... probably could've bought one already done! lol

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
To make sure I don't lose it I have this special place where I chronologically file all of my paperwork and bills for my GP

s0432252_sc7

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 1 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
To make sure I don't lose it I have this special place where I chronologically file all of my paperwork and bills for my GP

s0432252_sc7
Steve, i wish i could click agree also lol! That's the beauty of driving a shred truck, i just take the receipts from parts to work and toss 'em in to this beast.....
20170503_111827.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I also keep a notebook to jot down what parts i need for the overall, and next step for my build. Instead of having one overwhelming list, i try to break everything down into sections....motor, trim stuff, interior, etc.

I usually list prices just to source stuff and get the best cost i can, and simply save the $$, get parts, move to the next.
I've learned to not worry about overall cost, or add up as it will definitely hurt your feelings quick! When i did the first engine swap back in '03ish i saved everything. When the tally got to $14-15k i almost threw up....tossed all the receipts and haven't done that since!!!! As stated, i see how much i need for the next purchase, buy it, and carry on.

One helpful thing to create is a punchlist for when you get to the assembly phase so you can keep track as you bolt everything back together. This helps to avoid skipping something by accident, then having to go back and undo stuff to fill in the blanks.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
My GP is a hobby of mine and it's not an investment so I do not keep track of what I put into it, time or money. I enjoy working on my GP and driving it so that's the repayment of my "investment". But on the practical side vs a new car the GP is cheap, easy to repair and I like driving it so it makes sense to keep it on the road. What my sons pay for maintenance and the money they loose on the depreciation on their cars easily pays for what it costs me to run my GP for the summer and to make some upgrades...

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor