How Do You Set Toe In At Home?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I need to replace both outer tie rod ends on my Cutlass and I can't afford an alignment. So I was wondering if anyone knows how to set the toe in using a tape measure in the driveway? What are the specs and where do you measure from? This is a temporary thing as I do intend to get a real alignment some time in the future, but for now I can't afford it because I am broke. I can barely afford $22 for two tie rod ends at Auto Zone, but I need to be able to putt around in this thing if I need it as a back up vehicle. Right now, one is bad and the other on the verge of failure and I can't drive it because it is unsafe.

(For those who have read the build thread, this is probably the problem with the steering and not the box.)

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
Whenever you change tie rod ends, count the exposed threads on the old pieces and adjust the new ones to the same thread count. That should put you in the ballpark. To do an alignment, first center your steering wheel. Find two straight pieces of metal strapping, angle iron or square tubing, minimum 4 feet long. Place them on the outside of each tire, touching the sidewalls, supported on bricks or wood blocks so they clear the bulge at the bottom of the tire. Arrange them so the excess material sticks out past the front of the car. Make index marks on each piece 24" away from the tire. Measure the width at the tire tread, and then at your index marks. Adjust until the width at your marks is 1/8 inch less than the measurement at the tire. That will put you at 1/8" total toe-in. It will take a little time to adjust, reposition the straightedges and remeasure, but you'll be damn close to perfect if it's done carefully. Good luck.
Bill

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
X's 2, It may sound a little woodchuck, but it does save some cash, both in tires and at the shop. I use this method to make sure my jeep is "right" after trailriding.

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
When we set toe-out on our Dirt Sprint Car, we scribe a line around the tires, and set the difference between the scribe lines at the front and rear of the tire. It's quick and simple, but it's a straight tube axle, tube chassis with no body panels in the way. Gets a little more complicated with the obstructions of a street car chassis.

Bill

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
we use aluminum toe plates in the race shop but if you have a straight piece of plywood you can cut a couple of pieces 30" x 12" and cut a slit in each one on the 12" side about 2" from the edge to fit the measuring tape....you'll need a buddy to help you to place each piece against a tire and place one measuring tape on each side of the tires and slide the tape into the slots...then you adjust till the front tape is 3/16 less than the tape behind the wheel...

another thing you might want to do is to square the front end before you do the toe...to square it the measurement from the center of the pitman shaft to the center of the pin on the idler arm is the same as from the pin on the pitman arm to the center of the idler arm...

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
we use aluminum toe plates in the race shop

You guys with the full-bodied cars get to play with all the cool tools. For our Sprint car, a tape measure, straightedge, angle finder, combination square and a pile of setup blocks are our entire tool arsenal for chassis setup. After blowing the budget on motor and tires, we've got to keep it cheap :lol:

Bill

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
bill...those sprint carts are awesome and what you need to do is get a few more sponsors with deep pockets..lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor