How does this happen to a tire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
Girlfriend took the dogs up a logging road by our house today in the X3, had to turn around because of a reasonably sized bear that didn't care they were there. Sounds like someone had been cutting up firewood where she turned around, so who knows what might have been on the ground. She did drive on it on the way down because it was obviously toast anyway. What I can't figure out is how this kind of damage happens to a tire.

20190526_175608.jpg

20190526_175617.jpg

And the bear

IMG_0498.jpg

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The regular pattern suggests it went flat and the sidewall got beaten up rolling while being folded in half. Lucky it was not at Interstate speeds. I've watched cars grenade a tire and then roll over at speed. Not fun to watch, less fun in that car. Hope there was a spare...

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
Yea that makes sense I guess. I've seen tires run flat but never like this, I'm sure the road condition played a big role in this though

Good thing I have a full set of tires for the malibu that will fit this, an inch shorter but it'll look like a racecar

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Having been in the auto service industry for 22 years, that damage was caused by driving on it flat.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Sure the bear didn't put something out there to catch something? Bear hanging by the road, a flat tire happening just so close... Maybe that was one of Yogi's cousins willing to fix the flat for a picnic basket.

• Haha
  • Winner
Reactions: 6 users

KCP

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2018
Bavaria, Germany
In the first pic it looks like she initially hit a pothole just left of the 12 o'clock position, the rest is driving it flat.

MechMan

Master Mechanic
Sep 13, 2018
Kingsport, TN
I used to work at a Walmart TLE and you would be amazed at the how these tires looked when they came in for new ones or what they wanted us to repair..

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I've given up on asking women what happened. The answer is always "nothing".

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor