How far should I go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
I just picked up a 96 vortec 350 with probably 100k but who knows. So far I disassembled it to a long block, but haven’t pulled the balancer. The valves look clean on the backside, plugs are clean, and no sludge in the pan. I can still see the crosshatching on the cylinders. I want to build a 383 but the funds aren’t there right now. I was thinking of pulling the heads and pistons and reringing the engine, but I’m not sure if it’s worth it if all signs point to it not burning oil. Eventually I want to build the 383 but for now I was hoping to throw a cam, valve springs, and intake on and throw it in the car. Thoughts?
The 305 I have in there now runs ok but smokes a bit on startup and burns a little oil. It does need a carb rebuild but that would be the same on either engine.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
in my opinion,it's out and you don't know all that much about it. i'd put a little money into it now.that way no surprises after the install.a gasket set's not a lot of money.pull the balancer and check the chain make sure it's not sloppy.maybe an oil pump.you never know what the future holds, you might stuff it in the car with plans to stroke it and life gets in the way.that motor becomes temporary permanent.something like that.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
in my opinion,it's out and you don't know all that much about it. i'd put a little money into it now.that way no surprises after the install.a gasket set's not a lot of money.pull the balancer and check the chain make sure it's not sloppy.maybe an oil pump.you never know what the future holds, you might stuff it in the car with plans to stroke it and life gets in the way.that motor becomes temporary permanent.something like that.
Funny you say that, the 305 was thrown in as a place holder in 08. I forgot to add that I planned on pulling the balancer and checking the chain. I’m definitely going to swap the cam at a minimum.

Reactions: 1 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
in my mind,spending a little now can be cheap insurance if nothing else.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Malihoochie-

Apprentice
May 14, 2020
Detroit area
It would seem that you have a decent foundation for your next motor, whatever size it ends up being. The thing that made the Vortech motors noteworthy performance-wise was the cylinder heads. If you are going to keep the heads on the motor, know that the intake manifold has a unique bolt pattern and really tall intake runners, so a less commonly found intake needs to be used. A typical chevy intake will not fit. Also the Vortech heads are a 64cc chamber, so if you put other heads on that block try to keep to a similar chamber size, or else performance will be lackluster because the compression will be down.

Reactions: 1 user

Malihoochie-

Apprentice
May 14, 2020
Detroit area
For sure replace the chain if you are going to change the cam. Those motors are harsh on the cam and distributor gears, I would expect them to be razor blade thin/sharp. Also, the timing covers are 1 time use only...so when you pull it, don't try to reuse it. They are plastic btw.
I have a 96 truck and am fairly familiar with those motors.

Reactions: 1 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
I was surprised to see a two bolt block. I thought trucks always used 4 bolt mains. Anyone have the torque specs for the main and rod bearings handy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor