How I Came About Res

Status
Not open for further replies.

hybrid_malibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 7, 2006
Big Spring, Texas
How I Came About Restoring My Malibu

After getting my Malibu from my parents, I quicky added a 350 with the usual heads, cam, intake and exhaust mods. The trans had some mods and the diff was replaced. I had it repainted, re-upholstered, and the rubber replaced. The only thing I never messed with was the factory wiring. It worked well and I was not about to mess it up. Sadly I wish that I had checked it out. I was in Houston attending school in 2000 when it happened. A freak electrical short behind the cluster sparked a large fire. I had a mechanical fuel pressure guage, volt, amp,oil, and water all in the dash when that happened. Long story short, I was on I-45 Freeway when it happened. I was about a 1/4 mile from work so I blasted to the store. After 3 extinguishers, one burnt harness, and interior, it was over. I lost 95% of the interior including dash, wiring, factory floor shift center console, front factory buckets, door panels, headliner, A/C and heater ducts, and front glass. The only thing to survive was the rear seat. It had no damage what so ever. I parked it in storage for 5 years saving money, getting donor cars, and waiting for reproduction parts to be designed and produced. I believe that time has come. Car is out of storage, stripped, and ready to restore. :mrgreen:

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Simple! :)

Go here: http://gbodyforum.com/album.php

Scroll down to where it says "Your Personal Gallery" click that link and start uploading some pictures.

Off hand I can't remember what the size limits are, but I don't think they're too unreasonable....

Let me know if you have any problems...

betsy84

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2005
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
if they are too big, u can just open them into paint, change the dimensions, and then resave them. thats what i had to do at least. all mine were digial camera and were HUGE, so i know from experience lol its very easy. im sure there must be an easier way though

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
You had a mechanical fuel pressure guage inside the car? No isolator? I hope you realize now that that is not only illegal but very dangerous.

hybrid_malibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 7, 2006
Big Spring, Texas
I had the isolator in place. Braided line all the way. As far as I know, it did it's job. It could have been alot worse. I had to go running in to my place of work to gather the extinguishers to get the fire out. Then had to run back around the building to where my car was and put it out. Hard lesson learned, yes. No fuel pressure guage in car, painless wiring harness, and a fire extinguisher are things I will be implementing in the future just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor