How is a thiefs able to start the car by breaking open the column

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vicente

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 5, 2015
Just like it says i want to get a stead fast column to prevent that but i dont get how they get it started and im wanting to get a brake to keep my car from getting slim jimmed open does anyone know were i can get that

ttype

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2017
Brockville, Ontario.
check out the " sticky" under the thread title "stolen"... you won't need to get very far along into the thread that'll explain or answer your query... everyone likes or loves their their prides and joys. to have some lazy cracker come 'round and help themselves to your stuff is unnerving.

"lazy" is the operative term here... that thread will give you some great ideas on how to arrange a "combination lock" of sorts that will stump a thief just long enough to encourage him to move on... it's a very good read!

Last edited:

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Yes, read up and choose your method- many work. To answer the question, there is a rod that goes between the ignition key and the actual ignition switch which is about halfway down the column. By cracking open the column they can push that rod and run the car just as the key would. They can also get at the steering wheel lock which is nothing more than a steel finger that interlocks with a steel ring with lots of slots. I've even seen the ignition key lock bashed right out of the column and bypassed. Depending on how brutally they bust it apart, all the factory things can be bypassed. Aside from the many clever stealth ways to prevent theft, a steel cuff that clamps around the column and is padlocked in place is probably the best defense against your question.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
All this crazy stuff you want to to put on the column and all you have to do is install a relay inline on the starter wire with a kill switch somewhere, hide them both. Simple and extremely effective.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
All this crazy stuff you want to to put on the column and all you have to do is install a relay inline on the starter wire with a kill switch somewhere, hide them both. Simple and extremely effective.

that is the easiest and most effective way to prevent the car being started but unfortunately that still doesn't stop a rollback if someone really wants it

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Yup..if someone really wants to get it, they are going to get it. Lock on the column won't stop a roll back either. Shift lock doesn't stop someone with a screwdriver popping off the linkage under the car on the side of the transmission and putting it in neutral, and that applies to you automatic guys.

Someone with a tow truck or rollback is a professional on a mission to steal the stuff. Some crackhead busting windows looking for a quick car to hit will be stopped with something that won't make it start.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Mine is in the garage...I hear someone snooping around there during the night I'm putting 2 or 3 in them and coming out in the morning to check on what they wanted.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

wonderboy24

Royal Smart Person
Jul 10, 2012
Davenport, Iowa
mine as well stays in the garage when i am not driving it. 3 cameras on the garage. 6 on the house. kill switch on the car.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor