How Long Does it Take You to Change Tires...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
I won a tire change contest one time. It was at one of the night stops of the very first years of the Power Tour. 1995 or 1996 I think. The car was already jacked up on one corner and lugs were tight.

You had to loosen the wheel, remove it and run it one lap around the car and put it back on with the lugs tight, all while using a T-Handle (some call it an X) lug wrench.

Anyway, I was watching these other wannabe mechanics trying to perform this operation and failing miserably. When my turn came, everything went flawlessly. I think I made up the most time just running the lap around the car. The wheel coincidentally lined up perfectly with the studs when I threw it back on too. My Buddy who was watching told me the guy standing next to him mumbled something like "....he's done this a time to two before..."

What the competition didn't know was that growing up in my Dad's shop, I was only allowed to use the T-Handle because the Impact, as cool as it sounds, requires the compressor to run and ... well... that uses electricity. I was only allowed to use the Impact when absolutely necessary.🙄

I finished with a time of 1:52 and second place was well over 20 seconds slower. Won a Power Tour T-Shirt for my effort.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

partsbox

Greasemonkey
May 22, 2016
Maryland
“How Long Does it Take You to Change Tires...”

That depends on the situation. If I’m on my way to a car show or swap meet that I really, really wanna be at, my time would be measured in mere minutes. If I am on my way to work, an hour or so. BUT, if I am looking to avoid some honey-do list items, it could take me an entire weekend, and I might still have to finish up later in the week…

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor