How many ground strap connections do I need, anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
My BBC-swapped 1980 Grand Prix has only two ground connections (not counting the interior). One is the negative battery cable connected to the passenger cylinder head (with no smaller wire going to the body), and the second is a small flat braided ground strap connecting the firewall to the intake manifold. That's it.

Problem: my TCI EZ-TCU controller occasionally loses the output speed signal from my 4L80E. When this happens, the controller assumes I am not moving... so it puts the transmission in 1st gear and it will not upshift. Fortunately, moving the shifter to '2' forces the transmission into 2nd gear, so if the controller gives up I can at least have two out of four gears and limp my way along. The only way to correct the problem is to completely shut down the car, wait for the electronics to 'go to sleep,' and then re-start it.

At first, I thought this was an obviously bad speed sensor so I replaced it with a new Delco one. No change. Now I'm wondering: what if there is a weak ground that sometimes interrupts the sensor's output signal? It is a running joke with some of my car friends that any electrical problem is always the fault of insufficient ground straps. Could that possibly be my problem?

I'll stop by O'Reilly and buy an upgraded negative battery cable which also has the integrated small line to connect to the body. (I've actually wanted to do this for a while.) That will give me one more ground connection. But could/should I somehow also add one between the transmission housing and... something? Maybe I can connect one of the transmission bell housing bolts to the firewall, for example?

Thoughts?

79 GP 4 speed

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2017
Try running a ground from the motor to the frame. Make sure all ground connections are clean. Is it possible to ground the sensor itself?

Reactions: 3 users

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Two.

Battery Negative to Body.
Block to Firewall.

-Gonz

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
With the battery in the trunk I have a 4 gauge ground to frame and another to the body, in the engine compartment I have a 4 guage from the frame to the engine and another to the body from the frame

Reactions: 4 users

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
My buddy has a '55 Chevy hot rod. He had lighting issues and kept blowing the $100 infra-red MSD module. I took a look and the only ground was by accident through his clutch linkage. We ran braided mesh grounds from the engine to the frame, from the engine to the body, from the frame to the body, and a dedicated ground from the battery to the MSD distributor. End of problems. You can't have too many grounds.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 12 users

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
I like to have a ground from the hvac fan to the fender also along with the ones above.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
The more the better. Electricity/Contunity's like water it follows the path of least resistance.ive got one frame to body,motor to frame,another frame to body in the rear and i made the one from the negative cable to fender larger. grounds are a cheap and worthwhile upgrade,i made mine from Universal battery cables with an eyelet one each end.dont forget the star washers they too make the difference.

Reactions: 5 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Remember, kids: electrons flow from negative to positive. Mo grounds= mo betta.

• Informative
  • Happy
Reactions: 4 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
My BBC-swapped 1980 Grand Prix has only two ground connections (not counting the interior). One is the negative battery cable connected to the passenger cylinder head (with no smaller wire going to the body), and the second is a small flat braided ground strap connecting the firewall to the intake manifold. That's it.

Problem: my TCI EZ-TCU controller occasionally loses the output speed signal from my 4L80E. When this happens, the controller assumes I am not moving... so it puts the transmission in 1st gear and it will not upshift. Fortunately, moving the shifter to '2' forces the transmission into 2nd gear, so if the controller gives up I can at least have two out of four gears and limp my way along. The only way to correct the problem is to completely shut down the car, wait for the electronics to 'go to sleep,' and then re-start it.

At first, I thought this was an obviously bad speed sensor so I replaced it with a new Delco one. No change. Now I'm wondering: what if there is a weak ground that sometimes interrupts the sensor's output signal? It is a running joke with some of my car friends that any electrical problem is always the fault of insufficient ground straps. Could that possibly be my problem?

I'll stop by O'Reilly and buy an upgraded negative battery cable which also has the integrated small line to connect to the body. (I've actually wanted to do this for a while.) That will give me one more ground connection. But could/should I somehow also add one between the transmission housing and... something? Maybe I can connect one of the transmission bell housing bolts to the firewall, for example?

Thoughts?
My 82 GP was a diesel car originally. It had a ground cable that ran from the lower firewall, near the body mount on the driver's side, up to the engine. It was battery cable size and was insulated like a battery cable. If I remember right, it was bolted to the back of the head on the driver's side on the 400 SBC that had been transplanted in the car. I'm going to put it back like that. You can see it dangling by the driver's side frame rail in the pic below. Glad to see you're still around and enjoying your car. I have to get back on mine!
P1010004.JPG

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor