how much does it cost to do a basic rebuild?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dream on mcss

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2011
Oxford, MI
for a 305 v8? including:

crank polish
new cam, main, and rod bearings
cylinder hone
balancer keyway
new one piece rear main seal and housing (housing broke during dissassembly)
all new gaskets
waterpump
oil pump
timing chain

just looking for a ballpark estimate for what that would cost. thanks guys

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
Hot tank too. I'm guessing many machine shops will have a package deal where they do much (not all) of what you've listed. I'm going to guess $500-700 but they'll probably want you to go .030 over and get new pistons/rings, so $800-$1000 ?

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010
you looking to just rering it or all new parts and assembly?

honestly. I wouldnt waste your money in redoing a 305. you are much better off finding a junk year or already running 350 and have that done up.

look at summit and jegs you can get a new crank pistons or what ever combo your looking for for a few hundred dollars.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
A true rebuild by a pro using cheap parts with no real hotrodding stuff will cost from about $3k to 4k. That's a COMPLETE rebuild DONE RIGHT. So don't waste your time and money on that and just buy a cheaper, better 350 Goodwrench crate motor which is BRAND NEW.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
DoubleV said:
So don't waste your time and money on that and just buy a cheaper, better 350 Goodwrench crate motor which is BRAND NEW.

and comes with a warranty

This universal 350 ci engine uses a brand new block and can be used as a replacement for most GM vehicles from 1973-85. It produces 260 HP and 350 ft/lbs of torque with a 4-bbl carb and headers. It can be used as a replacement or as a retrofit into almost any vehicle. This brand new 350 crate engine comes with a GM warranty and is covered for 3 years or 100,000 miles in applicable GM vehicles only. JEGS has the GM Goodwrench, Chevy 350 engine for sale at a great price!

all for $1,499.99

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
DoubleV said:
A true rebuild by a pro using cheap parts with no real hotrodding stuff will cost from about $3k to 4k. That's a COMPLETE rebuild DONE RIGHT
:eek: WoW, I would hate to have to take something to shop around you.

Are you doing the assembly :?: If you can get away with using the original pistons and keeping it a standard bore, that will help. If you do the assembly, you can do I basic "overhaul" for less than a grand :mrgreen:

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010
I think everyone is forgetting a few key things.

What are your intentions with the car?

do you want a stock running car?
do you want performance?
whats your budget?

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
Cylinder heads will up the price a lot if you are getting them rebuilt. I mean total rebuild, not a valve ground on here and there that most people think is a rebuilt head. Clean and check block, bore and hone, cam bearings installed,freeze plugs installed, rods reconditioned, deck surfaced if needed, balancing, i could see 600 easy, more if more machine work is needed, such as a line hone. Now you need parts. Full gasket, bearings, pistons rings, about 350 bucks for a speed pro kit maybe a touch more. If you go with a name brand cam like comp or lunati you are looking at another 200 for a cam lifter kit. 1150 right there and we havent bought a timing set, head bolts, worked on the heads or purchased new waterpump, etc. It is the little pieces that will get you. I would budget 2k. I am assuming you just save money and buy some heads as well, maybe new vortecs for 650. I budgeted 2500 for my 355 with dart heads. I went passed that. Not much passed but I went passed it. I also didnt include the small parts. That was just machine work, rotating assembly, gaskets, bearings, freeze plugs, dart heads, you get the idea. The tin work and little parts pushed me close to 3k. I also assembled it myself. If I were to do it again I would of bought a crate engine.

BTW I am sure I am missing stuff. Also a 350 wont cost more to rebuild except you are going to have to pick one up at a junkyard for a 100 bucks.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I agree with the crate engine idea. Even if you rebuilt the 305, when you realized how slow it still is you wont get half of what you put into it when you try and sell it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor