How much hp can a 200r4 handle

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
86-blk442 said:
Depends on what model 200-4R. Either way not a whole lot if you beat on it.

the only difference was the shift points and valve bodies but they weren't any stronger...

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
pontiacgp said:
86-blk442 said:
Depends on what model 200-4R. Either way not a whole lot if you beat on it.

the only difference was the shift points and valve bodies but they weren't any stronger...

I would say they were a bit stronger because of the quicker shifts which caused less heat. Some differences in the servo would make the transmission 'stronger' too. The hard parts were all the same though, so going by that alone, yeah they were all pretty much the same strength wise.

darbysan

Master Mechanic
Apr 3, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Properly built, they can handle a lot. You can get different levels of build. A friend here had one in his GN that was well over 600HP (9 Sec 1/4). Stock, I would think 250-300 hp is about max.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Mine is stock internals with the big Trans Go shift reprogramming kit with bigger boost valves, billet servo, hardened stator, 13 vane pump and deep pan and 4L60E filter. So far it has held up fine. The only reason my first one went south was a cheap converter imploded. My 350 has maybe 250 hp but 300+ ft of torque. It will interesting to see how it handles the 9 to 1 424 ci stroker, come spring. The trans and wonderful 7.5" is a good part of why I am staying so mild. The TH350 stock is no prize either, just everyone and their dog knows how to build them. I have seen stock TH350's die behind mighty mid 70's Olds and sbc 350's.

galeaiii

Master Mechanic
Aug 13, 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor