how much hp will the stock cutlass rearend hold with gears?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryguy39

Apprentice
Apr 25, 2007
Looking to put 373 gears in my stock rear in my 87cutty ill be putting out 450hp what do u all think?

Coveted

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2008
Sanborn, Ny 14132
Re: how much hp will the stock cutlass rearend hold with gea

bryguy39 said:
Looking to put 373 gears in my stock rear in my 87cutty ill be putting out 450hp what do u all think?

i think youll break it in the future, but youll be fine for a while.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
It is all going to depend on your traction and how you intend to use it. The 3.73 gears will be a weak point, since they allow for much less gear tooth contact than would a numerically lower gear. I would not spend too much money in a 7.5 as it will just be wasted when it eventually fails.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I've been wondering this myself. I've had my rear (7.5) rebuilt. New axles, bearings, gears, diff, and one of those support covers. And I have the antihop bars and aftermarket trailing arms with the braces.

I don't plan on running anything bigger than a stock size tire (street tire, no slicks). So I 'should' be OK no matter how much power I put to it, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor