how much hp

Status
Not open for further replies.

h.o.t. SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2006
Killeen, Tx
I was wondering if anyone could tell me about how much hp I should get from this buildup....

80-85 350 (.10) 4 bolt main
bored .030 over and honed- (prepped for 383 stroker)
turned once 350 steel crank
stock 5.7" rods
new main bearings and cam bearings
flat top .030 over pistons
hastings poly rings
melling flat tapet mtc-1 cam
melling HD oil pump and pickup
double roller timing chain
rebuilt vortec #194 (64cc) heads
new HD springs
new stock push rods
roller rockers 1.6
90-92 vette s/d tpi setup (all complete)
all new fel-pro gaskets

using a 85-rebuilt 700r4 for now...maybe swapping for 200r4 later.

any and all info helpful...tks

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
You left out info on the very important camshaft. What is the lift and duration on that cam?

86Cutlass350

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 28, 2006
Springfield, MO
h.o.t. SS said:
mtc-1 spec's...

[email protected]. 204 exh. 214
adv. dur. int. 2778, exh. 288
valve lift int. .420, exh. .443
center lobe int. 107, exh. 117

tks....

I'm gonna say you could net maybe 350 hp and probably 450 lb-ft (given that it's a 383 and it's got TPI, two BIG torque makers). If you're going to run that much duration, you might as well use more lift, so I'd get a better cam. TPI motors don't really produce impressive peak HP numbers, but they have some pretty stout torque curves.

And in general, unless you've got an upgraded TPI setup (runners, plenum, base, etc.), I wouldn't run that much duration on a long-runner TPI motor. TPI is not very much good past about 5000 rpms in it's stock form. If you're going to run a big cam and tune it, you might as well get Holley Stealth Ram or another similar aftermarket short-runner TPI.

Go ask the guys at www.thirdgen.org . They will be able to help you a LOT with 383 and TPI builds, as they do em all the time over there.

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
I would guess more than 300 but no more than 350hp.

h.o.t. SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2006
Killeen, Tx
the block is prepped for a 383 stroker...but it is already assembled as a 350 tpi. what if I changed the crank and pistions to a steel 383 stroker , about how much would the hp increase then?.....tks

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
I'd say somewheres between 300 and 350 hp. I know my engine gained HUGE torque when it became a 383. I agree that you could stick in a bigger cam...thats the cam my dad has in his daily driver C-10. Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor