How much is to be gained by removing the original cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
where did you read that?... :unsure:

You ever priced them? There's a reason the factory charges an arm and a leg. They have a lot more of the precious materials coating the substrate, clean better, and last a lot longer. They're required to go 8 years/80k miles and on some 10 years/100k, above and beyond the rest of the car's warranty in most cases.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
You ever priced them? There's a reason the factory charges an arm and a leg. They have a lot more of the precious materials coating the substrate, clean better, and last a lot longer. They're required to go 8 years/80k miles and on some 10 years/100k, above and beyond the rest of the car's warranty in most cases.

I was looking for factual evidence, not conjecture

Reactions: 1 user

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I was looking for factual evidence, not conjecture

The fact that I've seen people struggle to pass the sniff test with run of the mill Magnaflow cats? Kooks green cats seem to work well for aftermarket bits.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
The fact that I've seen people struggle to pass the sniff test with run of the mill Magnaflow cats? Kooks green cats seem to work well for aftermarket bits.
The Pep Boys I worked at the mid '90's used my worn & not properly maintained/tune original V6 with original cat to pass one year old cars ('95) for inspection. These cars were low mileage & very well maintained buy the owners. Then keep in mind condition/up keep of test equiptment if still using probe testers,

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
There is a big difference between the older 3 way cats G bodies use and modern ones. Our older cats require oxygen to be pumped it from the smog pump while modern cats generate their own oxygen. Stock MCSS cats are already high flow units. The big issue is that G bodies are legally limited to single cat, split exhausts, true duals are illegal due to never being offed from thd factory that way.

80's honeycomb cats are not restrictive like 70's pellet cats are. As I said, MCSS use wide mouth, short cats for even less restriction. I would not call 9 or 9.5 CR low compression either. Stock exhaust manifolds and cheap mufflers are bigger restrictions than the cats are.

All aftermarket cats do not clean as well as OEM, nor last as long. On the Ford Panther forums, they warn not to use aftermarket cats as they blow out every 30k like clockwork, that is with OBD2 EFI and DBW. Its a major problem with ueing headers on a Panther as OEM cats won't fit.

If you really want to be fast and dirty, buy a new modern car, and rip the emissions out. You would be good for 7 years as they don't inspect new cars until then. By the time its 7 years old, it will be outdated and slow compared to the even newer cars so you will likely want to upgrade again by then anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor