How much is to much.....HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

shootinblanks

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 26, 2016
Ingleside Ontario
Ok off question but how much HP is enough. I know there is never enough and more is better, BUT.

I'm starting to think of a winter project to engine swap for my Malibu's engine. It came with a rebuilt 350 which I am happy with but I'm looking for a little more UMMPF. I have no idea how much hp it puts out now but it has had the cam done, aluminum heads with a QJ 4 barrel carb.

The wants....run regular octane fuel, have a throaty rumble, burn the tires off if I wanted to, jump in and go, keep the original hood. I'm thinking a 383 stroker may fit the bill?

So I have figured I would get a finished crate engine as I am not overly mechanically schooled or have the shop here to build an engine. But looking at the options for crate plug n go, I'm not sure how big to look at. At this point not looking at the $$ as I think you get what you pay for.

Looking for some experience on this.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Sounds like you have enough engine to do what you want now. The trick is to have a combo that works together. The heads, cam, intake ,carb, compression, cid, torque converter, and rear end all need to complement each other.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Too much is never enough.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
Simple answer is there is no such number that is "enough". As for how much power, it depends on the rest of your combo. Problem most run into is that they boost engine output and neglect the rest of the car. A stock Gbody can handle to about 300hp maybe 350hp max. Above that and the body, frame, trans, rear end, brakes will all need improved and upgraded to properly and safely handle that HP. You can beef a G-body up with bolt ons to get you to about 450-500hp. Anything above that and you will need some serious mods to make the car safe. I have a simple rule of thumb when I build power into a car and that is before the engine is even fired-up the chassis and brakes must be able to hold that power without becoming a pretzel and the brakes must be sized such that they can stop it safely even at 100% engine output To me the brakes are the most important aspect of any power build. This is just my opinion.

• Agree

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I have a simple rule of thumb when I build power into a car and that is before the engine is even fired-up the chassis and brakes must be able to hold that power without becoming a pretzel and the brakes must be sized such that they can stop it safely even at 100% engine output To me the brakes are the most important aspect of any power build. This is just my opinion.
Ever hear the Darwin yarn about the 73 Impala with a JATO rocket strapped to the roof?

I have a quick local solution for you: 2009 Pontiac GXP http://www.ebay.com/itm/322228252706. All those annoying little problems are already sorted out for you. It even comes with Bluetooth.

Last edited:

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
To me, there are two numbers that matter as much, or more than, HP.

1) Torque.

2) Power band @ what rpm.

It's like a guy saying he owns 100 acres, if it's all swamp and broken ledge face you can't do anything with it.

To me, I don't care if I "can" make 450hp... if my driving style and the combination of drive ratio, rear gears, and tire height stick my engine in an inefficient part of the power curve ... what's the point?

Too many guys buy tires based on looks and tread width going after traction, but don't stop to think how it fits with their trans and rear gears... ie where the engine is rpm-wise at a given speed.

Helps the on demand power, and the gas mileage, when you get all that other stuff working together.

So, how much HP is too much? To me, it's when you're wasting extra money to brag you "have" something that has no functionality and you can't tap into it.

• Agree

shootinblanks

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 26, 2016
Ingleside Ontario
Simple answer is there is no such number that is "enough". As for how much power, it depends on the rest of your combo. Problem most run into is that they boost engine output and neglect the rest of the car. A stock Gbody can handle to about 300hp maybe 350hp max. Above that and the body, frame, trans, rear end, brakes will all need improved and upgraded to properly and safely handle that HP. You can beef a G-body up with bolt ons to get you to about 450-500hp. Anything above that and you will need some serious mods to make the car safe. I have a simple rule of thumb when I build power into a car and that is before the engine is even fired-up the chassis and brakes must be able to hold that power without becoming a pretzel and the brakes must be sized such that they can stop it safely even at 100% engine output To me the brakes are the most important aspect of any power build. This is just my opinion.

I agree 100% "The WHOA will be done along with the GO". My start was with the engine and work off of that going out from the engine compartment.

shootinblanks

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 26, 2016
Ingleside Ontario
To me, there are two numbers that matter as much, or more than, HP.

1) Torque.

2) Power band @ what rpm.

It's like a guy saying he owns 100 acres, if it's all swamp and broken ledge face you can't do anything with it.

To me, I don't care if I "can" make 450hp... if my driving style and the combination of drive ratio, rear gears, and tire height stick my engine in an inefficient part of the power curve ... what's the point?

Too many guys buy tires based on looks and tread width going after traction, but don't stop to think how it fits with their trans and rear gears... ie where the engine is rpm-wise at a given speed.

Helps the on demand power, and the gas mileage, when you get all that other stuff working together.

So, how much HP is too much? To me, it's when you're wasting extra money to brag you "have" something that has no functionality and you can't tap into it.

Good points...and that is what I'm looking for is that "stuff working together".

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
It's hard to give advice when we don't know what you have. You have a 350, what compression, cam specs, carb size, intake, head size, torque converter, rear end. If you have a 1/4 mi time it would help.

peppers

Apprentice
Jan 29, 2017
There is one number that matters. How much $ ya got. All the other numbers fall into place after that one lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor