How much narrower than stock of a rear can you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
thats why I was fine letting the guy who had my car keep the Ford 9". It was narrowed about 3/4" per side and needed special offset wheels or spacers to fit right. And I wanted to be stock for ease of parts availability

Last edited:

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
And that is about as far as you can go before you develop some real fitment issues using stock suspension pick up points.

When I had the S60 built for our wagon I was really tempted to have it narrowed by an inch (1/2" per side), and in retrospect I should have given the tire/wheel combo. However, the issue is the shocks would be hitting the brake caliper banjo bolts... and no doubt a few other fitment issues would have snowballed from there as well.

And this is with notched frame rails and rolled fender lips.

I had one issue that I wasnt expecting. I used the Ford drum brake setup from Moser. Turned out the backing plate had to be modified. The kit from Moser comes with plates that have two holes for the emergency brake cable so you can use them on either side. The bulge where the cable attaches had to be machined off because it hit the lower mount. Back then I was able to take it to work and one of my coworkers milled it flat and tigged a piece of flat steel in to cover the hole. It looked factory when he was finished.

Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
The $$ you would spend on a custom rear housing and axles doesnt justify the gain.
I don't know if it still applies Today but when I ordered my Moser 9" they said if I wanted it narrowed or wider it was no extra cost.

Reactions: 1 user

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Thanks all ! Got a really good price from my machine shop for a Strange 9" 35 spline axles Wilwood discs. About $3100 which is about 600 saved if I were to order it myself. Gotta love a place that can save you some money. He beats Summit and Jegs for almost everything also.
As to the issues about selling the car or parts.... I think this one is a keeper. I've said that before but life recently thru me a huge curve ball. Cancer. Surgery in a few weeks. If they get it all I might be good for 10 years. If not and it spread..... less than 30% chance of survival at 5 years.
Building this car is what I really enjoy in my life. Shooting is my only other hobby.
Don't want to compromise on this at this time.... To heck with the money (to some extent) Hahaha

383_GrandPrix

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2016
Quebec, Canada
Thanks all ! Got a really good price from my machine shop for a Strange 9" 35 spline axles Wilwood discs. About $3100 which is about 600 saved if I were to order it myself. Gotta love a place that can save you some money. He beats Summit and Jegs for almost everything also.
As to the issues about selling the car or parts.... I think this one is a keeper. I've said that before but life recently thru me a huge curve ball. Cancer. Surgery in a few weeks. If they get it all I might be good for 10 years. If not and it spread..... less than 30% chance of survival at 5 years.
Building this car is what I really enjoy in my life. Shooting is my only other hobby.
Don't want to compromise on this at this time.... To heck with the money (to some extent) Hahaha
Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. Good for you for doing what you love and trying to live life to the fullest. Good luck with your build, I hope it becomes exactly what you invition.

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. Good for you for doing what you love and trying to live life to the fullest. Good luck with your build, I hope it becomes exactly what you invition.
Thanks brother... I plan on sticking around this place as long as possible... I'd like to start up a build thread... We'll see

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor