How Much Should a Rebuild Cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
I plan on getting the engine in my car rebuilt before too long. The only problem is I want to know how much it should cost before I get an estimate and end up committing to something that might be too much. Basically, here is what I have to work with:

1986 Olds small block V8, roller valvetrain, HEI, computer controlled Quadrajet (currently running/driven daily but worn out)

Parts I already have
- Overbore pistons (Silvolite)
- Piston rings (Sealed Power)
- Valve seal set (Sealed Power)
- Valve guides (Sealed Power, not sure if I'll need them, I heard they are usually "cleaned up" and reused)
- Camshaft (GM NOS)
- Double-roller timing chain set
- Lifters

Parts I plan on getting soon

- Complete gasket set (not sure what brand would be best)
- Spark plugs
- Spark plug wires
- Oil pump
- EGR valve
- PCV valve
- Assorted vacuum line
- Emissions pieces as needed

I was thinking that getting most of the parts gradually before the rebuild would reduce the cost. I'm not sure about the various bearings and the valves because I'm assuming that stuff varies depending on what the crank looks like and what all is involved in the valve job/cylinder head overhaul. The block is getting bored .30 over unless it needs more (not sure if it should or not?). As stated previously, the engine is tired and has 2 dead cylinders and consumes oil. It currently has 95,000 original miles and has never been out of the car as far as I know.

I'm not sure about certain parts like the distributor (has new cap, rotor, coil), push-rods, fuel pump (about 10,000 miles on it), carburetor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
i only know that you could get a rebuild kit for the carby on carburetor.ca.Look at the stamped number on the driver side of the carburetor main body and look for the numbers for a rebuild kit on that website.Buy some carburetor cleaner and put the gaskets and parts from the rebuild kit on the carburetor.If you want to spend more money,get a professional to rebuild it,i have the receipt for when mine was rebuit and it was roughly around $319.If i was you i would rebuild it myself because it would cost way less than $100.The thing is,if you dont know much about rochester carby's then it will be a little harder to rebuild it.Find an exploded view of the carburetor and study it or get a good book on rochester carburetor like the one doug roe wrote.For the engine,i believe that for my 350 to be rebuilt,it would be a couple grand or so.

drknow90rs

Greasemonkey
Aug 12, 2009
Wittmann, AZ
If you already have the overbore pistons, then get the block bored. 95,000 miles seems a little soon to need a rebuild, though. Prices are different all over, but around here, a rebuild (including overbore, but not line-bore) is usually around 900.oo with you supplying most of the parts. A buddy of mine does them for around 1,300 with all parts included. It all depends on how much work you are willing to do. HTH.

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
I was thinking anywhere from $800-$2000, but since I should have most if not all the parts I am hoping it is going to end up towards the lower end. A friend of mine offered to do it, I don't know for sure but I think I overheard him say he worked on engines for some sort of drag racing team that used "aluminum Oldsmobile engines".

I asked someone else I know who had their engine rebuilt and they said $8000. They said they had all the parts and the engine they had was a 400 small block Chevy. Something didn't seem right about that, since small block Chevy parts are usually the cheapest around, like $200 for a full rebuild kit (whereas a roller Olds is closer to $700).

As far as the engine needing a rebuild too soon, I think so too. The weirdest thing about the car is that it is in really nice shape for the age with nice original paint, etc. But the engine almost makes it not drivable at times. It just barely squeaks by on emissions tests even though we turn the idle down and put a catalytic converter back on it (which has to come back off or it will clog up). I don't think the people who had it before changed the oil much at all, or Oldsmobiles engines are just terrible about gunking up and dying early.

drknow90rs

Greasemonkey
Aug 12, 2009
Wittmann, AZ
8,000 seems a little much (But entirely possible, depending on what parts were put into it.) I scratch-built a 425ci LS-1 from all new parts for around 11,000 and made around 650 hp. In my opinion, spend the most money on heads and cam.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
When I rebuilt a Pontiac 301 for my daughter's Firebird it cost $1700.00 total. I checked all the catalogs like P.A.W and still could not beat the price my machinist got the total rebuild kit for. So I had him do all the machine work with balancing, rebuilt the heads with new valves and bronze guides, assemble the short block, and hot tank all the "tin" or sheetmatal parts like oil pan,etc, and intake. I believe the breakdown was $700.00 for parts and $1000.00 for machining/balancing/assembly. He gave me the short block and heads wrapped in plastic and treated with cosmoline. The reason I had him do the assembly was so in case a bearing, piston, valve, etc, didn't fit right he could correct it right there in the shop. I put the rest together at home on a stand so I could paint it and polish it up. This was in NY metro where nothing is cheap, and it still runs great in my wagon.

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
Hmm,in the late 60's,early 70's,oldsmobile engineers made an all aluminum 455,it never went into production,only as a cast aluminum concept like the oldsmobile hemi engines,cool eh? 8) .Are these engines you talk about from 1970?or 1990-2000?I believe 3.8 litres' came aluminum right?,if so this would be what your friend is talking about.I wouldnt really know if any companies made any all aluminum olds engines like for crate motor applications so this leaves me clueless.
kustomkyle said:
"aluminum Oldsmobile engines".

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Minion1186 said:
Hmm,in the late 60's,early 70's,oldsmobile engineers made an all aluminum 455,it never went into production,only as a cast aluminum concept like the oldsmobile hemi engines,cool eh? 8) .Are these engines you talk about from 1970?or 1990-2000?I believe 3.8 litres' came aluminum right?,if so this would be what your friend is talking about.I wouldnt really know if any companies made any all aluminum olds engines like for crate motor applications so this leaves me clueless.
kustomkyle said:
"aluminum Oldsmobile engines".

I'm to lazy to look it up, but there was an aluminum Olds engine from the factory that was turbo charged. I believe this was in the 60's, I think in a Cutlass but not sure. There was also the Olds Aurora V8 that was based off of the Northstar.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
kustomkyle said:
Oldsmobiles engines are just terrible about gunking up and dying early. I think you are confusing the 70's to 80's sbc. My Olds which had regular :bump: service went a lot miles before any problems. Are you doing a stock rebuild? Get a 3 angle valve job and some porting under the valves, will help those swirl port turds a lot. Are you running the stock exhaust and cat?

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
olds307 and 403 said:
kustomkyle said:
Oldsmobiles engines are just terrible about gunking up and dying early. I think you are confusing the 70's to 80's sbc. My Olds which had regular :bump: service went a lot miles before any problems. Are you doing a stock rebuild? Get a 3 angle valve job and some porting under the valves, will help those swirl port turds a lot. Are you running the stock exhaust and cat?

No, I'm not putting Olds engines down, but I have no idea why the engine is so bad when the rest of the car is so good. I've never dealt with Olds engines before. I've heard that the blocks are superior to just about anything else, but I've also heard about oiling problems. Olds engines used thicker oil than the Chevrolets, 10-30W compared to 5-30W. Was there a real reason for this? I really think this could be a great engine once it is stripped down and rebuilt properly, but if there is an issue that Olds engines had from the factory and can be remedied, I'd like to know now before it is too late. Again, I looked at a Cutlass with 75,000 miles on it and the oil was gunky in it too.

As far as the "aluminum Olds engine" goes, I think it was a two-piece funny car engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor