How to add gauges

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
I have an 1987 LS with the 4.3. Currently the only gauges it has are the speedometer and the fuel gauge. The speedometer does not work under 15 mph and is off between 5 and 15 mph everywhere else. Time to upgrade.

Is there a way to add stock gauges to this economically? I understand that I would need to change the sensors and possibly run wires. Is there a list of what is needed for this job parts wise? I understand the stock ones are not the most accurate but they have to be better than idiot lights for a cruiser.

I have seen the Dakota Digital ones out there but their price is a bit higher than I can spend. Is there anything similar at a lower price point?

I have the winter to do this now and since I have to replace a few other parts I am making a list to do all of these at once. Several of the hoses and wires will be out of the way and now is the time to do it when it is away for the winter.

Any pictures of what you have done would help allot too.

Michael Watts

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2017
You could put a stock instrument panel from an SS And or check the aftermarket for instrument panels,

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Probably the most economical way to put gauges in your car is find a Monte SS or El Camino cluster with the full gauge package. Of course you'll have to add the proper sending units for water temp and oil pressure.
This information might help you as far as wiring configuration. http://www.maliburacing.com/gauge_conversion.html

Reactions: 1 users

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
Has anyone used the Intellitronix cluster for $400? If that close to what it would cost to do it with stock parts? EBay Listing

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
  • Agree

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
You could try placing a want ad for a cluster. There's always someone parting out a Monte SS.
Oh, you'll also have to add a white wire for your tach and also add a tach filter connected to your distributor. It all depends on your budget. I still think going with the factory stock cluster is a good way to go.

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
I would do the same, add stock gauges. You would need a new housing with the dummy lights too so might as well get a complete setup. eBay prices can sometimes get out of hand, someone on here will probably sell or be selling a setup at a reasonable price if you pay attention to the ads, for a full cluster in decent shape expect in the 100-200 range though. Could even get the 120mph speedometer if from a 87 or 88 Monte SS too. Stock gauges aren't 100% accurate but "close enough". The speedometer shouldn't be off that much, any chance the trans or rear has been changed and the speedo gears aren't correct?

• Agree

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
I would not buy the conversion gauges that take the place of the idiot lights. That is what I did and they are poor quality. 20170408_154311.jpg The picture makes it look better than they are. I would go with factory gauges from like a Monte SS or something. You may need the printed circuit too.

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
The car is original, I think the speedometer is not functioning properly. Between 0-10 it reads nothing, 10 - 25 it bounces all over. Above that it progressively less than the car is actually going. Odd part is the faster you go the farther off it is. Ocationally it stays between 55 and 60 when accelerating and then jumps up. I think something in it is loose or sticking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor