How To Be A Successful Poster on GBF

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I figured I would write this out as it is not really posted anywhere. Basically, we welcome new members, but ask that people use common sense and civility when posting here. Since there are a rare few people who occasionally do not seem to understand what that means (It is really VERY rare), I figured I would post the common sense guide to what is generally expected here.

No Spam!!! If you are a Chinese national who makes their living off selling knockoff shoes, phones, purses, erectile dysfunction products, etc. Please. Post it somewhere else. It will just be deleted here.

Do not use excessive foul language. The English language has a plethora of words that can be used to express yourself. There is no need for the majority of what you post to contain swear words. It is OK to use them on rare occasions, but if you feel the need to punctuate every other word with F*ck, perhaps it is time you expanded your vocabulary. It makes you look bad, and by extension it makes the rest of us look bad. Once again, just be civil and it will all work out OK.

Racism is not welcome here. If you need to discuss something involving persons of a certain nationality or race, use the proper name for their nationality or race. We have plenty of people of different origins on this site and there is no need to purposefully use terms that will offend them. We are not politically correct here, but we do expect civility and respect for all who may read this forum.

Respect other people's religious beliefs. This does not mean you have to refrain from disagreeing with them, but you should write in a manner that is not designed to be purposefully disrespectful or offensive to others of a different belief system.

Keep Politics In Off Topic. While we are generally civil in all the different sections, Off Topic can get a little nasty. Understand that a large portion of our posters have a similar political bent. Expect not to have anything go un-analyzed if you are not of a similar opinion. For example, if you feel all old cars should be crushed, and drive an old car yourself, expect to be called on your hypocrisy. As always, try to keep it civil.

No Trolling: Don't post things for the sole sake of upsetting people and getting nasty responses. For examples of trolling, go look at the site EnglishRussia.

Use proper spelling, punctuation and grammar. This is not text messaging. You have time to go back and re-read and edit what you have written to be sure it will make sense to the reader. This is out of courtesy and respect for those who will be trying to answer your question. If you want someone to take the time to write out a well thought out response, show them respect by giving them a well worded and thought out question. This is not to say that perfection is expected, but when you write a single paragraph as a giant run-un sentence in all caps with text messaging abbreviations, it tends to piss people off. Remember: people will possibly be answering your question for the better part of a week (sometimes longer). Make sure that all who read it can understand it.

TURN THE CAPS LOCK OFF!!! This is self explanatory. Writing in all caps is considered shouting on the internet. It is rude and unnecessary.

Be descriptive in your questions. Don't just post something like "Why don't my car run?" as your whole question. Remember to include the symptoms, year, engine, and all pertinent data. This lets us give you a more accurate answer. If you don't know something that's OK too. Tell us that and we will be happy to help you learn. After all, that is why we are all here isn't it?

If anyone has anything to add, please feel free. Also, GP403, if I have overstepped my bounds as a Moderator here, please feel free to tell me so. I know that I do not own this site, but I felt it necessary to post what most of us already understand to help new people know what is expected.

• Useful
Reactions: 5 users

mickey-d

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2010
Kissimmee, Florida
I'm very new to the site, therefore, I tend to read most everything on a page or post to get kind of a feel for things. :) I think you did an outstanding job of explaining how not to be a "putz" I'm a moderator on another forum and I've had to do a little deleting too! :cry: Anyway, just thought I'd throw my 2 cents worth in! :rofl: As you can see, I love them smileys!! ..................................mickey-d :lol:

Attachments

• file-4.jpeg
    file-4.jpeg
    43.3 KB · Views: 480

2fit661ca

Master Mechanic
Nov 16, 2009
Fairfield, IA
WHY DON'T MY CAR RUN!!!????

haha, lol...

So, just one stupid question... are we discouraged from respoding with "haha," "lol," or anythig else of that nature? I Know it is a form of texting lingo, but to most of us with cell phones, it should be second nature.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
2fit661ca said:
WHY DON'T MY CAR RUN!!!????

haha, lol...

So, just one stupid question... are we discouraged from respoding with "haha," "lol," or anythig else of that nature? I Know it is a form of texting lingo, but to most of us with cell phones, it should be second nature.

No, I was not referring to the use of text language in it's entirety. I was referring to making posts that read like text messages, full of abbreviations, etc. For example: "My car is not running properly and I don't know why. WTF?" is a proper sentence. OMG!!! WTF? car no run no no y . Is not proper. In other words, post in sentences. kthxby.

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
HOW ABOUT USING THE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE ASKING ANY QUESTION THAT MAY HAVE BEEN ASKED 100 TIMES BEFORE?(CAPS left on ,on purpose :mrgreen: )

Nates84cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 25, 2009
Thomasboro, Illinois
Searching is good advice. Especially for some of the easy questions. I will side with some though that sometimes you end up sifting through days worth of threads to maybe find out what you need. Besides don't all the knowledgeable guys like helping noobs and hearing themselves talk? Err see themselves type?

I am sure you know what I am talking about, not meaning to be an a$$...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
HurstOlds said:
Can we use 1337 5p34k? :rofl:
Only if you yourself are 1337.....

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
shotgun said:
HOW ABOUT USING THE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE ASKING ANY QUESTION THAT MAY HAVE BEEN ASKED 100 TIMES BEFORE?(CAPS left on ,on purpose :mrgreen: )
I didn't include that on purpose. This forum deals with cars that have been around since the late 1970's, and as such there are a limited number of questions you can ask about them. Forums exist to answer questions, not scare off noobs with a thousand "SEARCH!!!" Nazis beating them down. Plus, it is not as though we have tens of thousands of members here. Yes, questions do get reposted from time to time, but that is about the same as bumping an old thread from the past in terms of what it does to the order. So, in order to keep the forum friendly to as many people as possible, it is better to just let people pass for not searching. That is, unless someone just posted the same question on the same page, then the person can be chided a bit... :lol:

Reactions: 1 user

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
It should be also a good idea, if people like to work on gbodys/cars/trucks/racing mowers, that they should buy books on how to repair them. There are MANY book stores, and also MANY places online to find .pdf files on pritty-much anything you want that pertains to your gbody/car/truck/racing mower.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor