How To Be A Successful Poster on GBF

2fit661ca

Master Mechanic
Nov 16, 2009
Fairfield, IA
Personally, I don't find anything wrong with having a question asked multiple times. If we don't want to help people, then why are we here? Isn't that the primary function of this forum? I like to consider myself a simi-expert when it comes to S-10 Blazers, and about once a weak, I have some random kid ask me why their Blazer, or their dad's or grandpa's or sister's Blazer suddenly loses power on hills and the fuel economy has dropped so much. Every time, it's the same answer. (so long as they have the 4.3L CPI V6) The fuel lines in the upper intake manifold are craked and rotted; thus causing fuel to leak all over the manifold and fail to reach the cylinders. It's very common and well known problem, but it doesn't mean I get pissed off when someone asks me just because I had told someone else 5 days ago with the same problem. I love to help people with their problems; it helps to make the world a better and more productive place.

And as far as buying books and manuals goes... well, more often then not, they cost more than $50 a piece, where as GBF is free. Some people would rather put that money on there dinner table or to fix that hole in the roof then buy the book. As long as I am here, I will be happy to help anyone who asks, rather then tell them to look somewhere else. I may not be much help now, but in the 3 months I've owned a Cutlass and been on GBF, my knowledge has improved vastley and I want to pass it on to the next guy who is discovering the 8th wonder of the world; GM's G-Body. :mrgreen:

Reactions: 1 users

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
Look at my posts, I offer plenty of help (& sarcasm on occasion). :mrgreen:

My point is , at least make an effort to help yourself first. If after a few minutes of searching with no results , fire away.

"'Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day teach a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime." :)

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
books are great, till you start finding the mistakes in them. Noobs probably aren't going to realise this.

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
"'Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day teach a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime."

Indeed!

gto78

Greasemonkey
Jan 2, 2010
Port St Lucie, Florida
Another thing for people to remember is when to post their opinion, and when to keep it to themselves.... For example maybe someone (like myself.. :x .) posts an interesting story in the "Gbody Tales" section of the forum. Then maybe someone else (with a HUGE mouth) doesn't like the story or believe the story, and decides to completely bash the thread repeatedly, and go even further to barrage the thread originator with nasty personal messages.....

That behavior completely derails the topic and pisses everyone off, and insults the person who took the time to share their story or question etc. Not only that but it gives the forum a bad vibe, and makes it less inviting to new members.

The bottom line is to always try to stay on topic and don't reply to someone's thread unless you have something positive to say that isn't going to completely de-rail the topic. I hate posting something and then having some jerk reply with something really negative for no reason at all.

Attachments

• IMG_20131212_175133_095.jpg
    IMG_20131212_175133_095.jpg
    560.1 KB · Views: 366

2fit661ca

Master Mechanic
Nov 16, 2009
Fairfield, IA
I completely agree with all 4 of you guys, though i must say, i've mis-interpreted shotgun's sarcasm on more than a few occasions. :lol: s*** happens. lol

MrHernandez

G-Body Guru
May 25, 2009
Jackson,TN
beermonkey9417 said:
"'Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day teach a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime."

Indeed!
But, I don't like fish....and why don't my car run?? :drool:

• Haha

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
MrHernandez said:
beermonkey9417 said:

Indeed!
But, I don't like fish....and why don't my car run?? :drool:
because yer the one who owns it... :rofl:

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Conclude your thread. Example:
Original Post - My car overheats when I'm on the highway but not at slow speed. Any ideas?
Reply - Is your radiator corroded or restricted.
Post - It looks OK. I'll flush it.
Reply - How new is your thermostat?
Post - I recently replaced it.

Without an ending, no one else learns anything. Simply adding a short comment such as "found that my new thermostat was defective" or "discovered my water pump impeller was rusted away" might be helpful to someone with a similar problem. We're all here to learn from and help each other. Thanking those who contributed is a polite touch too.

• Agree

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
I totally agree about proper ending of a post. Even if it is a month later, the end result or solution is important to those who made the effort to explain or help solve the problem. What I love about this forum, and others, is that a problem can have several solutions, and many times, what works for some doesnt always seem logical or affordable for others, so you can get a lot more ideas from several responses than if you were just talking to one person online. My grandfather, who restored antique cars since the 60's always told me that experience is worth every penny. What you read in a book can help, but talking to somebody who has actually fixed the problem or done the work is priceless. I would probably have not even tried half of the projects I have started without access to forums like this one. And one more thing, there is no such thing as a stupid question. if you dont think it warrants an answer, let somebody else answer it instead. Just my two cents.....

• Agree

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor