How To Be A Successful Poster on GBF

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Since it's been bumped...
axisg said:
Is it just me or is the size of someones signature at the bottom of their posts getting out of hand ?
This has really been bugging me lately. As usual, it not an issue with 98% of members here. Some, however, have pics so huge that I often think that they are part of the post. We are all proud of our cars but a full page pic of an engine bay or burnout shot just isn't necessary.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Usually a polite "hey, mind resizing that image?" will get the point across. Either they just don't know how to do it or don't realize just how big it is. If they refuse, then get a hold of me and I'll see what I can do.

Signature images aren't meant to be obnoxiously huge. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. It detracts from everyone else's experience on the site.... and I will remove the obnoxious ones, especially if it starts screwing with the format of the site. :D

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I guess it's time for another bump.
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
Use proper spelling, punctuation and grammar. This is not text messaging. You have time to go back and re-read and edit what you have written to be sure it will make sense to the reader. This is out of courtesy and respect for those who will be trying to answer your question. If you want someone to take the time to write out a well thought out response, show them respect by giving them a well worded and thought out question. This is not to say that perfection is expected, but when you write a single paragraph as a giant run-un sentence in all caps with text messaging abbreviations, it tends to piss people off. Remember: people will possibly be answering your question for the better part of a week (sometimes longer). Make sure that all who read it can understand it.
I've been noticing a TON of this lately. I want to assume it's due to phone-posting and not a reflection of our school systems. Still no excuse to be lazy. It IS possible to post in The King's proper English from a phone. Please at least make an effort. Another really distracting phone function is the auto-cap feature that Makes Every Word You Write Start With A Capital Letter. I, For One, Find It Really Hard To Read. It Isn't Necessary And Makes Your Posts Harder To Read Especially When Combined With A Total Lack Of Punctuation.

Also, notice that it's possible to reference a portion of a post with a quote. It's not necessary to quote a half-page post just to say, "Nice wheels" or "Car looks great in the 7th pic".

Thank you for your time.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Knowing when necroposting is appropriate: This is typically seen with new members. While we appreciate your enthusiasm and willingness to contribute, sometimes bringing back a dead thread is just not helpful and pretty pointless. Here's a couple examples.

Not OK;
1/1/08- I noticed my water pump is starting to leak. Think it'd be okay to run it to 2 more shows next weekend before I replace it?
1/1/08- Yeah, should be ok. Keep an eye on the coolant level.
1/1/08- Maybe you could try some stop leak.
1/2/09- Stop leak is alright for temporary use. Be sure to flush everything when you replace the pump.
1/2/09- Thanks guys. It's just for one more weekend. Then I can replace it.
6/13/12- Don't risk it. You'll never make it to the show unless you replace the pump.

OK;
1/1/09- I just picked up XYZ bright neon pink see-through fuel hose. What do you guys think?
1/1/09- Looks cool.
1/2/09- Pink isn't my cup of tea, but I like that it's see-through.
1/2/09- This stuff is cool. I can't believe how cheap it it. I'm gonna get some too.
5/4/12- Just wanted to let you guys know that this stuff has been recalled. There have been several fires from rupturing neon pink fuel hose. Take it off and return it to where you got it for a full refund. I know it looks cool but better safe than pink and on fire.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

bishop gp

Greasemonkey
Jan 1, 2015
Evansville,IN
Thats a long time to leak coolant sheesh whole year youd spend more on the coolant than the repair sheesh lol jk we know its just a theoretical situation

soloone87

Greasemonkey
May 15, 2014
hollywood,fl
I hope that this was meant to be sarcastic post lol, the theoretical post was about posting on threads YEARS AND YEARS OLD like this one lol (oct 29, 2012)

elcoslick33

Apprentice
Mar 25, 2015
SoCaL-AZ
I work at AutoZone and I love this question hey hmm my car doesn't start do you know what it be?

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The Forum includes a number of foreign members. I'm impressed with the effort these folks put into formulating their questions and answers in English. The funny part is that the words we use here are a technical jargon, almost a sub-language. I know because my wife does not understand me half the time when I try to describe why I'm jazzed about a car-related topic...:blah:

Mike buttafuoco

Apprentice
Sep 27, 2016
Carlisle, pa
Hello. New to the site and am not the most technologically adept. Can you tell me how to post a profile pic and pics of my car? Also, just wanted to mention I have a car for sale here too as I posted it in the classifieds. Thanks in advance.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
Hello. New to the site and am not the most technologically adept. Can you tell me how to post a profile pic and pics of my car? Also, just wanted to mention I have a car for sale here too as I posted it in the classifieds. Thanks in advance.

Welcome! There is a lot of good help and information here, I think you'll like it. In addition to your for sale post, might I also suggesting making a post in the "new users" section, just to introduce yourself and your ride.

To post pictures in a thread:
1.) At the bottom of the screen you should see a button that says "upload a file."
2.) You can click that button and it will allow you to choose a file to upload to the post (i.e. a picture).

To change your profile picture a.k.a avatar:
1.) At the top right corner of the page should be your username, next to a little mail and flag icon.
2.) go ahead and click on your username.
3.) This will bring you to all your account details, and you should see a section in the middle of the screen that says "avatar:" Yours (right now)will be the person with the blue background. Go ahead and click on that, and you should be able to select a photo to use as your avatar.

Again, welcome and feel free to message any moderators (our names are in green) the site admin (his name is in red, GP403) or any other members, we will all be glad to help!

You can click on anyone's avatar and then click "start a private conversation" to send a private message to that user.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor