How To Build a 1001hp stock W16 engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I just came across this video and figured it would be interesting to post it here. It is of how the 1001 hp 4 turbo W16 engine for a Bugatti Veyron is produced. It is based on the engine technology used in the VW Phaeton and the Bentley Continental GT, which have a W12 configuration ( and are the same car under the skin). VW owns Bugatti and Bentley, so it should come as no surprise. I think the sticker price of the Veyron is north of the $1.5 million mark, but it's still interesting to see the unique cylinder layout of this engine. As a side note, the car has 10 radiators, and the spoiler doubles as an air brake when you try to stop at the 250+mph top speed!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q34xIzTj8fQ&feature=related

Here's the Wiki of this amazing piece of engineering:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugatti_Veyron

andrewmp6

Master Mechanic
Sep 9, 2007
Its a nice engine but way too pricey twin turbo ultima gtr will eat it and do it for around 60k.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Yeah, but that Bugatti would be far more reliable than anything you could cook up on your own. It was actually designed to be reliable and stable at those speeds and that power level. Supposedly, it costs VW 3 or 4 million dollars to build each car as it was done as a technology demonstrator, and not to actually make money. Now, would I buy one? Probably not. Not unless I somehow won 100 million dollars in the lottery. The ability to go 252mph in a car that is stable and reliable at those speeds is not something I really need or could actually use. I do, however, admire the engineering skill that went into designing such a masterpiece.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
If only GM went to that technology. Im sure they would be much more sucsesful.

jonnyslick

G-Body Guru
Jun 2, 2008
Crossville, TN
Yeah I heard the same thing about them loosing money on the project as an engineering exercise. Not sure if that's a true or an internet rumor ... I've never actually seen proof either way.

But yeah from a mechanical point of view it's an amazing machine! 8)

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
dan2286 said:
If only GM went to that technology. Im sure they would be much more sucsesful.

But then the car would be fraught with warranty problems, make-do engineering, and have a low class interior. It's sad to say, but no one in America really seems to do something because they take pride in it any more. Everything is just a job that needs to be done quickly and cheaply enough to satisfy the accountants, and make a minimally salable product. If American companies would pay more attention to the details of their cars-interiors especially- more people would buy them.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
Its a nice engine but way too pricey twin turbo ultima gtr will eat it and do it for around 60k

:rofl: put down the crack pipe and step away from the computer.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
if they didn't have the unions they could actually afford to buy better materials. and the cars would be put together correctly. that's GM's biggest quality issue, improper assembly.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Yeah, let's see here....The Ultima GTR has a LSX in it, which has cylinder sealing problems under large amounts of boost, and uses a notoriously weak Porsche Transaxle from a 1980's 944 or 928. The Veyron uses an AWD transmission designed to be reliable for 10-20 years ( that was what the design specs called for), and was designed and built for Bugatti by a British Formula one transmission builder that took almost 4 or 5 years to get it right because it was such a huge task. The Ultima is cool, but is not even on the same planet compared to the Bugatti.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor