How to deal with fumes in the shop?

kirk

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 4, 2021
So with retirement I've transformed my garage (583 sqft) into a shop. I've started a frame off resto on an 87 ElCo and recently I can't stay in the shop more than a half hour without getting lightheaded. I don't notice any odors when I'm out there, but when I come in my hands always smell like fuel.

Two questions:
1) Would a large (440+ CFM) exhaust fan be a safe investment for air flow and fume removal?

2) What did I do wrong to cause all these vapors in the shop? I didn't notice a problem until I sawed through the exhaust to get to the driveshaft and removed the rear driver wheel to get to a brake leak. The brake fluid was really rotten so I emptied the reservoir.

Thanks for any input, this is my first time working on a car and this is all new to me.

Kirk

Attachments

• elcaminostart.jpg
    elcaminostart.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 159
  • IMG_2663.JPEG
    IMG_2663.JPEG
    1.2 MB · Views: 162

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Is there fuel in the tank? Get it out of there. The tank vent/charcoal canister is supposed to catch them and store them. If not connected it will allow fumes out and if the shop is closed they will accumulate as you have found out. I just leave the door open but in winter it can get too cold for that. A dedicated fan that vents old air out and fresh air in is always a good idea but I would concentrate more on prevention. Get rid of the gas.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

kirk

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 4, 2021
Is there fuel in the tank? Get it out of there. The tank vent/charcoal canister is supposed to catch them and store them. If not connected it will allow fumes out and if the shop is closed they will accumulate as you have found out. I just leave the door open but in winter it can get too cold for that. A dedicated fan that vents old air out and fresh air in is always a good idea but I would concentrate more on prevention. Get rid of the gas.
Ugh, this is the kind of advice I needed. On my way to pick up a fuel siphon to get the tank empty! I guess it started happening when it got really cold and I shut the garage door too.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Other thing is old rubber fuel line becomes porous due to unleaded gas. May not LEAK fuel but you will smell it.

Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Ethanol gas eats away the original rubber lines. If it's been running it and is original you should be planning to replace all the soft sections of fuel line - especially on top of the gas tank, etc.

Stale gas doesn't smell as good as fresh gas or new tires, and of course, race gas smells best... then again, anything but gear oil...

Reactions: 1 users

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Since you are draining the tank you might as well remove it completely. Check for rust and a good time to replace the lines and hoses. Did the gas gauge work? Fixable when it is out. If the tank is good you can extend it's life by painting with POR-15 and then undercoating it.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
#1 rule when dealing with VOCs or other noxious fumes: Always crack a window/door and get some cross flow of air going.

I use a series of fans to move air around. If I am under the car cleaning, welding or painting I have one running. Typically I have a larger fan pushing air towards the car with hood open to create a high pressure area which moves fresh air under the car. Then the under car fan pushes to another low pressure area (open door or window).

Get some box fans.

If possible store the old gas outside of your work area.

Reactions: 3 users

kirk

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 4, 2021
#1 rule when dealing with VOCs or other noxious fumes: Always crack a window/door and get some cross flow of air going.

I use a series of fans to move air around. If I am under the car cleaning, welding or painting I have one running. Typically I have a larger fan pushing air towards the car with hood open to create a high pressure area which moves fresh air under the car. Then the under car fan pushes to another low pressure area (open door or window).

Get some box fans.

If possible store the old gas outside of your work area.
Thanks for this. I just put three fans in there and it's doing much better. I got a siphon and tried getting the fuel out, but nothing came out. I'll get back down there in a bit and give the tank a jiggle to see if anything is sloshing around down there.

Long term I'm shopping for a big exhaust fan I can mount in the wall. Something that can circulate air pretty good to keep it fresh. I'm not to worried about the cold, but I'm dreading when summer hits.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor