how to get a flat hood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

You Know!

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 3, 2019
so doing body work and repaint on a 1979 monte carlo but I can not get the hood flat because of the glue they used to join the hood at the factory, has anyone else had this problem.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
PDR guys lots of times cut it loose to alleviate that. Buddy cut it all out of his 66 Nova hood and re-stuck it with sound deadener mastic after it was straight.

A lot of times, it is aggravated by over-zealous grinding/sanding or buffing.

Reactions: 1 user

You Know!

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 3, 2019
PDR guys lots of times cut it loose to alleviate that. Buddy cut it all out of his 66 Nova hood and re-stuck it with sound deadener mastic after it was straight.

A lot of times, it is aggravated by over-zealous grinding/sanding or buffing.
Thank you I have 2 hoods that have it, i'll try that on one of them.

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
I for one would like to see pictures of your car and to hear a little about your self and your plans.

James84SS

Apprentice
Dec 2, 2018
Detroit area
A hood is nothing more then a large floppy piece of sheet metal that only gains it strength when its set in those glue blobs on its sub-frame. Cutting the hood lose from those can sometimes cause more problems then your trying to solve. You don't ever want to pound away on a hood with D.A. as the heat generated hits and is absorbed by those blobs instead of flowing through the sheet metal smoothly. Causing those areas to sink and rise. Broad and sweeping strokes with a sander, never sit in 1 area for to long. If your doing filler work or blocking primer the trick is to use only enough pressure to slowly cut it smooth. If your hood is flopping up and down under the pressure of your block you will never get it straight.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

ranllett

Apprentice
Dec 29, 2013
Calgary Alberta Canada
My paintless dent repair guy used a putty knife to break the seal with the subframe only at the low spot on the Malibu hood. Low spot went away, not a problem since.
Randy

Reactions: 1 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Is the sheet metal distorted at all? If it is, get a NEW hood. If not, you could use autootive spray foam. NOT the stuff they sell at Home Depot. Thats what it looks like they’ve been using any more at the factory on attaching large sheet metal to inner structures of all the vans at work. I used it for my station wagon roof.

spicercars

Greasemonkey
Jan 7, 2019
Saginaw MN
Is the hood on the car or on a stand? If it's on a stand that's part of your problem. You have to sand with a big block and a light hand with the hood supported by the sides not the middle.

Reactions: 1 user

You Know!

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 3, 2019
I for one would like to see pictures of your car and to hear a little about your self and your plans.
car should be painted and on the road in a couple of weeks, painting it a pozzi blue.
79 work on shot.jpg
79 work on shot.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor