How-to GM 10 bolt ring and pinion R&R basics instructional video.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Ever wanted to change out rear gears but weren't sure on figuring out backlash and all the shimming needed for preloads, etc.??? With a bit of mechanical knowledge, a few basic tools and maybe a couple of not-so-basic tools, maybe you can learn something by watching this video on how to install rear gears in a typical 10 bolt GM rear end. I know I did learn a couple of tips/tricks. If you're already a rear gear replacement guru, this video is not "geared" toward you. The video does NOT tell you how to rebuild your carrier. Just how to R&R one. It was done in a teaching shop, so there are some assumptions/cut corners (like no torquing stuff, no axles to remove and it's on a swivel stand to make it easier to work on. Definitely easier than in the car.

Anyway, grab some popcorn and a couple of your favorite cold beverages, sit back and watch. Maybe you'll learn something. Some things may seem mundane, but recall, this is for novices. Good explanations of why he's doing certain steps as well. It was filmed live end to end with no editing, so a couple mistakes were made, but corrected.

• Informative
Reactions: 7 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Nice video. I get the part about needing popcorn and a couple beers. Cutaway is a Gov-bomb. NV3500.

Last edited:

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
great video. just in time, i'm swapping in a set of 3.08 gears and posi in place of a 2.14 open. i was wondering about pinion depth, this will help me. i have an extra bearing that i will open up so i can slip fit on for measuring and setting pinion depth.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor