How to install aftermarket gauges...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Hello all. When I get around (and gets money together :p) I will have a Buick 350 in my '85 Regal. Nothing fancy, for now. Anyway, part of what was my V6's downfall, was the lack of gauges and those stupid idiot lights. Now, would any of you have some instructions, advice, or tips for installing something like this: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...281&categoryRedirect=N0532&pt=N0532&ppt=C0134

into an '85 3 speed auto SBB Regal? Thanks.

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
Since that is a mechanical gauge setup it is fairly straight forward. find a mounting location and route the oil line, temp probe, and volts wire through the firewall. Find a water jacket port in the block, intake, or head and install the temp probe. With the oil line first thing I would do is throw the nylon tubing away and get some 1/8 copper tubing instead. You will be pumping hot oil into the interior to back of gauge. Nylon lines can and DO fail over time. Finally route the volt wire to the charge wire from Alt to Battery. Then find power and ground for the light bulbs in the gauges.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
X2 and I agree, go with the copper tubing for the oil gauge even though the nylon is more flexible it can easily kink and melt if it gets near the exhaust plus it is so tightly wound it actually makes it harder to work with.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Thanks. Is there any way I'd be able to do this with electronic gauges? Or do the have to be Mechanical with the SBB?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I personally feel the mechanical gauges will be most reliable for your set up, I think the higher quality and much more expensive electric gauges are reliable but I wouldn't trust the cheap versions and with a mechanical oil pressure if there is an issue you know it's not the sender.
I have all Autometer Ultralites in my car and even though they are more hassle to install I keep the oil pressure and water temp as mechanical I feel these are the 2 most important gauges so failure is not an option.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00062YW06/?tag=gbody-20 Something like this is what I'd prefer over to eventually having oil everywhere with the mechanical gauge. I assume it should be possible with a mid 70s SBB.
Yes, you can pretty much install electrical any place where a mechanical is or vise versa, the electric gauges are easier to install since you are running a wire to a sender instead of tubing etc.
If it is within your budget I would step up to an actual Autometer gauge, the Autogage is just the budget version but I guess they are still better than those idiot lights.
There are adapters to fit the senders in pretty much any engine but I don't think there will be any issues with your SBB.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Yes, you can pretty much install electrical any place where a mechanical is or vise versa, the electric gauges are easier to install since you are running a wire to a sender instead of tubing etc.
If it is within your budget I would step up to an actual Autometer gauge, the Autogage is just the budget version but I guess they are still better than those idiot lights.
There are adapters to fit the senders in pretty much any engine but I don't think there will be any issues with your SBB.
Ok cool man. And from what I remember, you can run a tach from the NEG. signal from the distributor right? (Mine will be HEI).

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If I remember right the tach output on the HEI is right next to the power wire.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor