How to make custom replacement Heat/AC box foam seals (heater core/ac evap)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I have just completed restoration on my 78 Salons heat/AC box. I purchased a new AC evaporator core and heater core at my local parts store. These parts do not come with new foam seals that slide onto the outlet ports to keep crap from getting in the box. I work in an auto accessories installation shop and some new parts have dense black foam squares glued inside the cardboard boxes. I worked in body shops too and replacement parts have these squares glued in the boxes too. So hit your local body shops and I'm sure they would give you some of these foam squares. If all else fails, buy a foam sanding block. What I used is 3/8" thick. I tried free cutting circles but they were choppy looking. What I found that worked awesome was a die grinder with a cone shaped rotary bit on low speed. It made very nice and smooth holes. If it was too small, I worked it a bit more with the rotary bit. To cut the main shapes I used a box cutter with a new blade. I cut them a hair big and shaped the sides with my angle grinder with a 36 grit roloc disk. This also made a very nice edge. Some others may have a different or better way so feel free to add to this thread.

• Informative
Reactions: 4 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
When I recently had my a/c heater box opened up for a new evaporator and heater core. I ended up using a piece of foam pipe wrap. I would have liked to have found the dense foam squares that you've mentioned. I also used some of the electrical sealer which comes in small bricks for the lower portion of the suction and pressure tubes. It was suggested by another member of the forum.

lookin' good, man. I'm diggin' it.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
That my friend is great tip! I ended up using foam from one of my old leg press machines. It works, but this is better. Now to find some foam blocks...:wax:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor