How to make the check engine light go out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
Wasup guys? I just did a swap in my 86 Cutty Salon, and took the computer out, and was wondering if there is a wire that needs to be grounded or something to make the "check engine light" go out. Tried lookin it up, but didn't find anything. Any help would be appreciated.

79elky454ss

Greasemonkey
Sep 30, 2007
ohio
you need a reader that turns off codes

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
79elky454ss said:
you need a reader that turns off codes

I removed the old computer, so I need to turn the light off. I'm sure there are alot of codes thats gonna show up. :D

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
If you took the computer out you can't erase codes. There are no codes if the is no computer. You just have to take the bulb out.

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
The check engine light isn't like the rest of the dummy lights? Isn't there 12v at the light, then when something grounds, or vice versa, the light comes on? Just wondering. How could it know what is wrong without the comp telling it. There has to be a main wire that went to the comp.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
Just do what I did..........unplug the bulb...LOL.... I did after taking my computer out..If you still have your computer just take it to any Autozone and they will check the light for you, free of charge... 8)

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
Ok guys, if you insist I'll just take the bulb out, but not till I try to figure this out. I'll let you guys know if I figure it out. It's got to be simple.

username

Master Mechanic
Jul 21, 2009
Tennessee
the yellow or brown/white wire on the back of the light cluster is the ground for the check engine light you will have to verify to be sure because it could be either of those two.

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
username said:
the yellow or brown/white wire on the back of the light cluster is the ground for the check engine light you will have to verify to be sure because it could be either of those two.

Good lookin. :D

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
There is what is called a "remote lamp driver module" behind the dash that is designed to illuminate the Check Engine Light if there is a complete failure of the system. In this case, a missing computer.

If you remove it then you'll be set.

When I did my first swap I didn't know this and didn't want to remove the bulb and have a possible 12v hot open socket. So I pulled the little printed vellum piece that has the things like the SES, Brakes, Seat Belt, etc. on it and put a piece of black electrical tape on the back side. Reinstalled it and the cluster and never had a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor