How to make your engine crank but not start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
The backstory is that I am trying to think of some ways to scare the sh*t out of my girlfriend, and there's the legend that if you go to Cry Baby Bridge in Maryland (or any cry baby bridge, there's dozens all over the country apparently) in the middle of the night and turn off your car, it wont start back up. Is there any way (especially with our older cars and engines) to make it so that the starter will crank, but the engine wont start? Preferably without damaging anything, thanks. It also must be reversible, I don't want to spend the night there! Maybe flooding it with the gas pedal?

P.S. In case you were wondering, I've gone before and shut off the engine and it started right back up. Myth busted! Haha

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
And if you have any other ideas or good stories of how you scared the daylights out of people with your ride, please share! I also thought of having one of my buddies in their truck pull off the side of the road in Blackbird Forest (also haunted), and then when me and my girl drive by, he turns on his lights and catches up and rides our tail end like he's going to kill us or something :D lmao

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
pull the power wire off the side of the distributor. It'll turn over all day long but never run.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
pull the power wire off the side of the distributor. It'll turn over all day long but never run.
Yep, that or the coil wire. Wire a kill switch for the dizzy or fuel pump if its electric, to a toggle switch hidden under the seat or somewhere out of plain sight.

Reactions: 1 user

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Pull the 'Ign' fuse

wonderboy24

Royal Smart Person
Jul 10, 2012
Davenport, Iowa
yes we have a cry baby bridge near me. except your car is supposed to roll in neutral when turned off due to kids that dyed in a school bus crash . supposed to put baby powder on your bumper.

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
yes we have a cry baby bridge near me. except your car is supposed to roll in neutral when turned off due to kids that dyed in a school bus crash . supposed to put baby powder on your bumper.
We have the same myths here. My car did the thing where it rolls back. I didn't try baby powder tho

Jeff L

G-Body Guru
Nov 20, 2016
Southern AZ
And if you have any other ideas or good stories of how you scared the daylights out of people with your ride, please share! I also thought of having one of my buddies in their truck pull off the side of the road in Blackbird Forest (also haunted), and then when me and my girl drive by, he turns on his lights and catches up and rides our tail end like he's going to kill us or something :D lmao

In Danbury CT there was a secluded part of town that had what they called the Jesus Tree. Cars would not start there. Only weird thing I had happen was static for a few seconds on a FM radio parked near the tree with friends. We were on our way from Brewster NY for work training and had not been drinking or on anything when the static happened! Lol. The tree was eventually cut down after someone tried to burn it.

In Northern CT we had Dudley Town which was a ghost town where everyone disappeared overnight according to legend. Strange thing is when you are in what was the center of the settlement there are no birds chirping, no animals around, and you get the strange feeling of being watched. At night people claimed to have seen flashing lights at certain foundations and glowing eyes. Boy did we creep out our girlfriends on one of those trips. One night three of us drove ahead of some friends and hid in the woods. Our friend dropped us off made sure the others in our group parked near our location and told them we would be driving up later. They were drinking and such and ten minutes in my friend and I started holding up two flashlights to look like glowing eyes. One of the girls spotted them and our friend really did a great acting job of being scared out of his mind and the others just about pooped their pants. The stuff we did as dumb teenagers!

Down here in AZ when I first moved I was told about the ghost of Interstate 19, the main highway from the border to Tucson. Story goes a guy was working in Tucson, got the call his wife was having their baby in the Nogales hospital, was rushing to get there. He had a foggy and damp road where he hit a guardrail and plumpted 30 ft into a ravine next to the highway and was killed. Some have said that on gloomy hazy nights, (and those heading south on the road, not north), have seen a ghost sitting in the back seat with a smile on his face. He is trying to get to the hospital!

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
You could mount an inexpensive floor dimmer switch and use it as a kill switch for the ignition and all you have to do is step on it, plus it would double as a security device when the joke is over.
OER-12338706_ml.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
You can ground the tach terminal on your HEI distributor and it will not harm a thing as long as you do not left your key on for an extended period of time. No oil in HEI coil so overheating coil will no be an issue. Dimmer switch a great idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor