How to properly install AC/Heater box delete panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wagonman100

Apprentice
Jun 8, 2018
I made a plate and sealed it with seam sealer behind it. It is now unremovable. Strip caulk would probably work as well and still be removable. I run Vintage Air heat and A/C that fits behind the dash and works well. I had to eliminate the glove box though. Well worth it to clean up the engine bay though.

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I made a plate and sealed it with seam sealer behind it. It is now unremovable. Strip caulk would probably work as well and still be removable. I run Vintage Air heat and A/C that fits behind the dash and works well. I had to eliminate the glove box though. Well worth it to clean up the engine bay though.
In your case, having Vintage Air and heat, I could then see removing the HVAC box and blocking off the cavity. I see guys welding in block off plates and making everything nice and smooth. It looks good and frees up space in the engine compartment...granted, but at what consequence?
I always urge guys that remove the heater box, to keep them and not throw them away.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I would use the 3M strip caulk to seal it since it stays pliable, that way 10 years from now when you are tired of sweating just trying to enjoy driving your car you can remove your plate and get a game plan for re-installing AC again.
If you have the car long enough it's not an if but a when.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Wagonman100

Apprentice
Jun 8, 2018
In my ‘83 wagon the firewall has been completely replaced, so I will be running Vintage Air or the like in that too. The old factory box is long gone for both vehicles.

Steve 82 Elly

Greasemonkey
Feb 2, 2020
I would love to see a pic of how that panel looks, I'm thinking of doing the same thing to my el camino

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
When you get a bit older you appreciate having these things in functional order...and I'm pushing 70. At 44, you could be my son. :LOL:
Maury says...

9625df094d0bcaa9e589933c0382af2d.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
I took mine out and it’s going back in as soon as I get a chance. I missed out on driving the car a few times this fall and winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor