How to remove and install distributor gear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dickeymoore

G-Body Guru
May 6, 2009
Atlanta,Georgia
I have a MSD 8365 distributor and need to change out the gear on it any help on removing and installing a different gear on this distributor?Thanks

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Use a punch and drive out the roll pin and slide the gear off. Slide the new one on and put the pin back in.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
When I do mine I put it in a vise with aluminum jaws so it doesn't spin and as stated use a punch to remove the roll pin (I actually cut down an exact diameter phillips screwdriver just for this job) make sure any shims stay or go back on the distributor shaft in the same orientation when you pull off the gear and after putting on the new gear on carefully install a new roll pin and make sure it is even on both sides.
Since you have a iron gear on your MSD are you switching to a melonized gear for a hydraulic roller or a bronze gear for a solid roller cam?
Also make sure your new gear matches the inside diameter of the old gear.

Reactions: 2 users

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I am not familiar with the MSD distributor. But on stock GM units there is usually a lot of shaft play at the gear. They sell hard washers for you to get the play down to .010". That way the timing does not change when the gear meshes and can move. Good time to check your end play and adjust if necessary.

• Informative
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor