How to remove and install distributor gear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
The dimple, as one story goes, is a factory timing/housing position thing to make the housing sit with equa-distant maneuverability for setting timing without being blocked.

Some say it's a balancing thing, but I don't know. I mean, 180 out on the shaft that spins 1/2 the speed of the crank isn't likely to cause serious vibrations I wouldn't think, for its size. The balance idea, I guess, was to remove enough weight on the gear as compared to the weight added on that side due to the firing rotor tip. I'm not a mechanical engineer so I'm going to say "um...not sure".

The cam gear has an odd number of teeth, IIRC, it's 13, so rotating it 180 out would make the rotor shift over 1/2 a tooth in spacing as on one side of the gear the pin hole would be under one tooth, and on the other side it would sit between 2 teeth. You just would need to align the housing while setting the timing a little. Otherwise, no effect on timing or operation that I can see IMO.

But, if balance is out, it could ruin bushings and a worn cam gear and/or bushings can cause misfires like a mf, so I won't rule anything out. I still think it is a spacing relation to the housing.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor