how to remove door panel on locked/closed door?

Status
Not open for further replies.

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
So my wornout El Camino managed to lock me out on the drivers side and now I can't get the door open. This time the pull knob for the lock mechanism came out of the door. So, how do I get this door open under the following circumstances. I can still get in the cab thru the psgr side to get access to stuff.

1) inside door handle is broken off inside the panel
2) the pull knob linkage for the door linkage rods literally pulled all the way out, 10" of rod and all

I can't remember but were the internal door handles back then the kind that would unlock a door just by pulling on them? if so, can I jam a screwdriver in there to flex the linkage?
is it possible to remove the door panels while the door is closed so I can get access to the linkage directly? or am I going to have to resort to a slim jim?

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
So my wornout El Camino managed to lock me out on the drivers side and now I can't get the door open. This time the pull knob for the lock mechanism came out of the door. So, how do I get this door open under the following circumstances. I can still get in the cab thru the psgr side to get access to stuff.

1) inside door handle is broken off inside the panel
2) the pull knob linkage for the door linkage rods literally pulled all the way out, 10" of rod and all

I can't remember but were the internal door handles back then the kind that would unlock a door just by pulling on them? if so, can I jam a screwdriver in there to flex the linkage?
is it possible to remove the door panels while the door is closed so I can get access to the linkage directly? or am I going to have to resort to a slim jim?
Slim Jim is likely least destructive. The dash pad will interfere with getting the panel off, and, you're going to tear up the cardboard skeleton trying to just detach the rearward portion to gain access which would require removing the seat anyways.

Normal panel removal would be pull the panel outwards so the plastic plugs release, the list upwards so the inner dew wipes come out of the channel. Or, to try tondescribe more clearly, if you were INSTALLING you would drop the panel straight down 1/2 or 3/4 inch against the glass so it's trapped between steel and glass. Then you would push against the steel shell so the plastic fasteners lock into the door shell. Then when closed the side of the dashboard, about 6 inches worth, touches the pad.

The handle pull doesn't unlock the door as an anti theft feature.

Reactions: 1 users

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
been a few years since I pulled any door panel, forgot about the dash interference. so Slimjim it probably gonna be,

anyone have an interior pic of the door with the panel off where the rods are so I can see what to manipulate?

x75

Apprentice
Sep 23, 2018
roll the window down and look in the gap you may see the door release mechanism coming from the outside handle. I just had my panel off two days ago for power window motor install and the inside release rod runs between the inner handle and latch on the inside door sheet metal. Seems like the lower door finish panel would just pop off after armrest is removed (4 screws hold everything on). It will fight you but it's flexible somewhat

Reactions: 1 user

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
yeah, I was kinda thinking if I could get the lower panel off, that might help. next time I'm out there (elkie located elsewhere) I'll try lowering the power window (didn't work this time but I didn't have a bunch of time either)

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
yeah, I was kinda thinking if I could get the lower panel off, that might help. next time I'm out there (elkie located elsewhere) I'll try lowering the power window (didn't work this time but I didn't have a bunch of time either)
See if you can find the lighted wedge and air bag. Then much easier to see what you are doing. Then with the rod I believe the linkage connector you need to hit pushes down, but it's been awhile.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
DSCN3401 (2).JPG
DSCN3402 (2).JPG

Found these in my Project Regress build folder and cropped the originals to get detail shots. In both you can see the actuator rod for the door release lever as well as the vertical rods for the lock and push/pull knob. The first shot is probably the more clear of the two, that miserable door bumper obstructs a clear view in the other.

The vertical rod onto which the door lock knob is screwed is attached to a bell crank. If you can get the window down you ought to be able to hook that part directly and pull up on it to release the arm on the lock mechanism

Nick

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
I was out there for a couple hours on Sunday but working on something else. and then I was standing there looking at the flood Elkie, with doors dismounted and propped next to it, and noticed that "hey, I can see all 3 linkage rods and how they work!" (and they work too!)

as for the H-frame holding up the flood Elkie, it ain't going nowhere. the rear bumper is hitting the ground, the rear tires are flat, the 4x4s in front are almost vertical and jammed in the ball joint area, the 2x4s cutting across have lots of screws in them and are jammed in to the ground at each side, and there is a 4x4 piece in the center connecting the 2x4s. so there should be no torsion or twisting issues

1676445336819.png

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I was out there for a couple hours on Sunday but working on something else. and then I was standing there looking at the flood Elkie, with doors dismounted and propped next to it, and noticed that "hey, I can see all 3 linkage rods and how they work!" (and they work too!)

as for the H-frame holding up the flood Elkie, it ain't going nowhere. the rear bumper is hitting the ground, the rear tires are flat, the 4x4s in front are almost vertical and jammed in the ball joint area, the 2x4s cutting across have lots of screws in them and are jammed in to the ground at each side, and there is a 4x4 piece in the center connecting the 2x4s. so there should be no torsion or twisting issues

View attachment 216132
From the stance you left out that it appears you dropped a little blue pill in the elky's gas tank before starting it all.

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor