How to Remove Glove Box Lock Without Key???

Status
Not open for further replies.

twfurst

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 4, 2008
I am looking to see if anyone has any info on how to remove the lock from the glove box door WITHOUT having the key? I have read quite a few write ups and posts on the web that indicate the need to have the key in, and the lock "locked". I managed to lose the key over the past four years (ongoing project during a move). If it is not possible to do it the correct way, by using a paperclip to depress the tumblers, without the key, is it possible to remove without destroying the door itself, ie. drilling out the lock?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys have.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
a double ball pick will get it open or you can call a locksmith..

SP-04.jpg

twfurst

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 4, 2008
I don't need to get it open, it's unlocked now and I have the door removed. I need to remove the lock itself from the glove box door in order to separate the inside panel from the outside panel.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I thought needed a key according to your headline

depress the retainer tab and slide the cylinder out

sfOjWufOHKtlZbIrEOeDdaobXOjvQ95RhIcp4SLS7Lo=w356-h207-p-no

The release tab (labeled C) for the lock cylinder is only accessible through opening (labeled B) when the latch is in the CLOSED position. So with the door open, you have to flip the latch (labeled A) back into the closed position.

That will rotate the lock cylinder making the release tab C visible through slot B. Note that slot B is facing off towards the passenger side when the mechanism is assembled. There's a second (brass colored) tab farther down on the lock cylinder that might also have to be pushed down as you pull the cylinder out.

When re-installing the cylinder, position it so the release tab C is facing the passenger side. It should then slide straight into the housing. You might have to push the release tab in a little to get it to clear the opening. And you will also have to hold the catch (A) back into the closed position (it's spring loaded and will interfere with inserting the lock cylinder if not held back).

Reactions: 1 user

twfurst

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 4, 2008
The lock/latch on my Malibu doesn't look like what is pictured, this looks more like a late 60s, early 70s glove box lock. I saw a video on how to remove the ones of this style, but nothing on the style installed in my G-Body.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I thought that might be similar to yours cause mine has two bolts holding it in place so it obvious how mine is removed.

unnamed.jpg

twfurst

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 4, 2008
Mine looks like that too, but once you remove those two bolts, you still need to get the knob off the front, get it through the hole, and the knob is connected to the cylinder. Think I will be taking one of my door locks to a locksmith and getting new keys made. Cheaper than buying new locksets for the doors and truck, as well as replacing the glovebox lock, and I should theoretically be able to release the cylinder once the key is in there.

Thanks for your input though.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I backtrack, it is not obvious. I took out the two bolts and have the key for the glove box (my ignition key) and i can lock it and unlock it but the lock won't remove. There is a keyway in the cover so that must be a clue and there is also a small hole at the top edge of the cover so I'm thinking there must be a release that needs to be depressed but I didn't have a tool for that.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
thanks to FE3X CLONE, I found his post in another forum...

1. Open I.P. compartment door and rotate lock cylinder to the locked position.

2. Insert wire in hole in edge of I.P. compartment above lock

3. Depress each tumbler in turn while pulling on knob to remove lock cylinder.

The trickiest part is getting a feel for when you have depressed the tumbler. When it is depressed, you can't pull out on the lock with the wire in there. You kind of have to slide the wire out as you pull. I was being pretty forcefull with mine and couldn't get it to budge at all. It wasn't until I started giving it a lighter touch that it just slid right out.

Reactions: 1 user

twfurst

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 4, 2008
I saw that one last night too, and tied without key, but no luck. Going to get key(s) made, as I will need them anyhow. See what luck I have after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor