How to remove instrument cluster with column shifter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fender868

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 26, 2017
Hey guys! I've looked this up and viewed all the videos and I'm not a 100 percent sure how to continue. My speedometer stopped working today on the drive home and I want to inspect that it is still intact behind the cluster before I have a look at the transmission. I got to the cluster easily and removed the four screws that hold it in place and then tried to pry it out but I was tugging on the gear indicator cable and I don't want to shear it off. I removed the cluster plastic cover and exposed the wire but couldnt really remove it and I wanted to make sure I was not gonna mess anything up. Was I going about this right or do I need to disconnect elsewhere. I am sorry if this is elsewhere on the board but I searched it in every way I could word it.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Speedo Cable should be able to be unscrewed from the back of the cluster. Selector cable shouldn't be too difficult, but at risk of breaking 30 year old plastic, I'd check the little plastic gears in the trans first. Ain't hard to do, those break way more often. I'd pull the cable out of the trans, chuck the end in a drill, and spin it. If the speedo picks up, trans gears are gacked.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Fender868

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 26, 2017
Speedo Cable should be able to be unscrewed from the back of the cluster. Selector cable shouldn't be too difficult, but at risk of breaking 30 year old plastic, I'd check the little plastic gears in the trans first. Ain't hard to do, those break way more often. I'd pull the cable out of the trans, chuck the end in a drill, and spin it. If the speedo picks up, trans gears are gacked.
Do you know where it's located on a th200? I think that's what I have. I have a 1980 cutlass with a 305. Il take it to the auto hobby club as soon as I can and put it up on the lift unless I can get to it with jacking it (I have a shared parking lot and not lots of room to work). I guess il just re assemble my dash. I pulled the wiper switch cause my wipers arent working. Though I could just use a cable to test the harness and if I connect the hot lead to one of the wiper leads it should in theory actuate the wipers? The switch looks more like a switch and relay.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
What is the year break on the switch from screw-in to clip-in speedo cables? My 85 is clip in: depress the tang next to the cable, and wiggle it out. It is a sumbich to do as there isn't much slack. Mine had a bracket attaching the cable to the brake booster; that may give you some room. However, there is a nasty S-bend inside between the cluster and firewall.

Your wiper problem is more than likely motor related than switch. The circuitry on the wipers is a confusing mess (to me, anyway).

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Are you talking about the small cable that attaches to the the needle for the gear indicator?

17138.JPG

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
If you are looking to release the speedometer cable circled in red is the tang you need to depress.
P1011893_LI.jpg
Picture is from a Monte Carlo speedometer but the Cutlass should be similar.

Hope this helps!
Bob S.

Reactions: 1 user

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Here is a pic of where the clip for the indicator is attached to the shifter bowl...best to remove the under column trim panel for access...

5wlIpB.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor