How to remove light knob to remove wood grain bezels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

upandaway84

Greasemonkey
Jan 3, 2011
Michigan
Hello all.

I am having an issue removing the far left wood grain bezel on my 79 Cutlass. The light knob is in the way and I gave up trying to remove it for fear of breaking the knob. Any ideas on how to remove the knob without breaking it off? I'm not sure if it's glued on or if there is some type of pin holding it on. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
upandaway84.

83hurst-olds

G-Body Guru
Oct 19, 2010
near Oklahoma City, OK
It has been a while since I sold my '79 (probably 10-13 years), but it seems like it was either an allen screw on the bottom of the knob, or else there was a spring clip you have to push towards the knob (away from the dash) to release it.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
You must reach up under the dash and there is a little button on the side of the actual headlight switch, that button will release the knob/shaft :mrgreen:

upandaway84

Greasemonkey
Jan 3, 2011
Michigan
So I'm finally getting around to doing this and I'm stumped. I've pretzeled my way under the dash and haven't found any buttons or springs. Any ideas?

trog

Greasemonkey
Jun 16, 2009
tampa, florida
upandaway84 said:
So I'm finally getting around to doing this and I'm stumped. I've pretzeled my way under the dash and haven't found any buttons or springs. Any ideas?
the release is on the knob itself, its a piecce of spring steel that fits over the shaft. use a right angle pick and push toward the knob (away from the dash) the knob should release and pull off . this is all done in one motion. hope this helps

upandaway84

Greasemonkey
Jan 3, 2011
Michigan
Ok I'll try it out tomorrow. I assume the spring is in the notch on the knob? I saw the notch but nothing else. Was running out of daylight.

Mikes83ss

Greasemonkey
Mar 14, 2011
las vegas,nevada
Its just a quick suggestion but run to your local home depot and grab a crowbar.lol.You'd be surprised but have a look on youtube to see if there's any step by step videos.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
This is an older model, but the idea is the same. See the spring loaded button on the bottom? It's a b*tch to get at, but then the shaft pops right out.
P1080908.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor