How to remove oil pressure sensor near oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

partsbox

Greasemonkey
May 22, 2016
Maryland
How do you remove the oil pressure sensor that's near the oil filter? I can get a 9/16 or 14mm on the oil pressure sensor's fitting or on the brass extension that the sensor is screwed into, but then I cannot move the wrench, there's no room. How can I remove this sensor? Do I have to destroy it to get it off and just buy a new one? Am I just missing something obvious?

BTW, this is the last obstacle to installing the driver side header.

IMG_5197-vi.jpg

Bitterman

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2017
There is a spot to put a wrench on top of the sensor where the wire plugs in and there is also a place to put a wrench on the opposite side of the sensor by the block. The spot by the block looks to have room to get a wrench on and rotate.

Let us know if this works.

partsbox

Greasemonkey
May 22, 2016
Maryland
Eureka! I discovered the secret! Do not use your beefy, new tools, use the old stuff you had hidden away from when you were a kid! The photos show how much beefier my Made-In-USA Craftsman wrench is compared to the Williams Superrench (that’s the way it’s spelled) I found in my old tool box from my teenage years. I tried the Williams and it not only fit, there was enough clearance to turn it!

Side note: Williams was acquired by Snap-on in 1993, and it was officially renamed Snap-on Industrial Brands in 2011.

Once the sender was out, the header slipped into place, so I put the sender back on and then the header would not line up to the head. So the sender came back off and a ¼" plug went into the block. Looks like I’ll be relocating the sender to the top rear of the block near the distributor along with the oil pressure switch.

IMG_5200-vi.jpg

IMG_5201-vi.jpg

IMG_5202-vi.jpg

IMG_5203-vi.jpg

IMG_5204-vi.jpg

IMG_5205-vi.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

partsbox

Greasemonkey
May 22, 2016
Maryland
There is a spot to put a wrench on top of the sensor where the wire plugs in and there is also a place to put a wrench on the opposite side of the sensor by the block. The spot by the block looks to have room to get a wrench on and rotate.

Let us know if this works.
Thanks for the reply. When I tried the lug at the top of the sensor near the wire connector, it looked like it was just gonna twist the body and crush it, so I backed away from that real fast. Fortunately, I found a less bulky wrench that did the trick (see my follow-up post above.)

Thanks!

Last edited:

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
I used to cruise the pawn shops (like 25 years ago) and look for odd tools for my set. Buying them new was way more than I could afford, at the time. Anyway, to this day, one of my favorite "finds" is a Snap On set of ultra thin open end wrenches. I think I paid about $40 for them and they have gotten me out of a bind about a dozen times in hard to reach places or where two nuts are locked together in a tight space.

I just took a look online and found a decent set of Husky thin wrenches for about $30. (link below)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-T...VK4lbCh22vAuYEAQYAiABEgIS6fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Attachments

• IMG_20200830_193249495.jpg
    IMG_20200830_193249495.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 167

partsbox

Greasemonkey
May 22, 2016
Maryland
I used to cruise the pawn shops (like 25 years ago) and look for odd tools for my set. Buying them new was way more than I could afford, at the time. Anyway, to this day, one of my favorite "finds" is a Snap On set of ultra thin open end wrenches. I think I paid about $40 for them and they have gotten me out of a bind about a dozen times in hard to reach places or where two nuts are locked together in a tight space.

I just took a look online and found a decent set of Husky thin wrenches for about $30. (link below)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-T...VK4lbCh22vAuYEAQYAiABEgIS6fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Another item for my want list, thin wrenches.
Thanks for the tip!

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
When Proto still offered American made tools, one of the part numbers was for 1/2 by 9/16ths open end tappet wrenches. Very thin and long for great leverage. When I found out they were about to be discontinued, I went down to the dealer and had them order a pair in for me. To this day they reside in my master box down in the basement and the other set is out in my roller box in the shop. And No They are Not For Sale!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor