How to remove weather strip adhesive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

old80cs

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Massachusetts
I just installed my new trunk lid weather strip and used 3m adhesive. I. trial fit the strip and there was more than foot left to be trimmed so I put a bead half way around the trunk perimeter and started setting it in place. I've never used this stuff before, first time for everything, it came out of the tube very inconsistent and was watery in some spots and solid yellow in other stretches. After pressing the strip in to set it in place permanent it gushed out from under the seal. I tried with a wet rag and it just smeared it. I didn't want to try a solvent for fear of wrecking paint. So my question is, is there way to clean this stuff off of my freshly painted car to make it look more sanitary?

IMG_3411.jpeg IMG_3412.jpeg IMG_3413.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

84cutlasssupreme

Apprentice
Nov 2, 2019
I just installed my new trunk lid weather strip and used 3m adhesive. I. trial fit the strip and there was more than foot left to be trimmed so I put a bead half way around the trunk perimeter and started setting it in place. I've never used this stuff before, first time for everything, it came out of the tube very inconsistent and was watery in some spots and solid yellow in other stretches. After pressing the strip in to set it in place permanent it gushed out from under the seal. I tried with a wet rag and it just smeared it. I didn't want to try a solvent for fear of wrecking paint. So my question is, is there way to clean this stuff off of my freshly painted car to make it look more sanitary?

View attachment 206491 View attachment 206492 View attachment 206493
Try 3M adhesive remover. I don't think it damages paint unless you have paint that's pretty fresh. I've used it lots of times & never had an issue with paint. Make sure it's for automotive adhesive. If you can find a knowledgeable parts counter person at a auto parts store that mixes paint, that should be very helpful too. Good luck.
I have never used adhesive on trunk weatherstrip. It should fit snug without it.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

View attachment 206491 View attachment 206492 View attachment 206493

You can also try standard automotive wax and grease remover Mike. Seems to me that’s what I used on the AstroRoof on Olds Cool when I had to remove the aftermarket seal that was too hard to compress. You’ll have to use some elbow grease with it, but it should work just fine.
As long as you don’t have the really strong stuff, it won’t attack paint, even new stuff.

Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
On a G-body, I've always found there is no need for the pinchweld areas to be glued. It ain't going anywhere. The only glued area that you can consider is the meeting of the ends above the license plate. And I consider it optional there, even. I've only used pre-glued GM weatherstripping for it, myself, and have never glued it on the pinchweld. There may have been an assembly spec for it, but both instances I replaced the trunk weatherstripping on a G-body, I just yanked the old one right off.

Yellow is abosutely the worst glue to use IMO because of exactly what happened here. Splooges out if you use too much and unless the car is yellow, it looks like dog sh*t. I would always use 3M weatherstrip adhesive in black only. That's just me, though. Do what makes you happy.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I agree, use the black going forward. Also, read the instructions and follow them closely. For best results, you want a thin application on the weatherstrip and another on the car. You let that tack up and then assemble. You should never have that much glue squeezing out. Believe me, I've done the same. The worst thing about it, when you use too much of that stuff, is that it doesn't stick as well.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
This has been my go to product for many years. Just test in a hidden spot with fresh paint.
3m-general-purpose-adhesive-cleaner-08984-1-quart-us.jpg

Maverick's_Monte

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2011
Rhode Island
Black or yellow, less is more with that stuff. Its super sticky. It reminds of the "cartoon glue" that Judge Doom gets his hand stuck in during the "final battle" with detective Eddie Valiant in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit"....Anyway I digest.

A little of that stuff goes a long way. As far as removal, you want something that's going to emolliate the glue but not damage the painted surface underneath. I would give WD40 a try, goo-gone, stuff like that. May take a few soakings to break it up. Resist the urge to scrape!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor