How To Remove Window Trim (with pics)

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Here is my guide to window trim removal, for your G-body windshield, rear glass, or wagon 1/4 glass.

For starters, get yourself a window trim removal tool, it should have a flat hook like this:

31736620109_large.jpg

There are better ones with hooks on both sides, which are handy for certain spots.

It is a good idea to put some masking tape on the backside of the trim tool to keep it from marking up your glass. I wasn't too worried about the ole Malibu, so I didn't bother...

Gently slide the tool behind the trim, underneath the plastic liner if it is still there.

31736620105_large.jpg

Starting at the bottom, move the trim tool along until you feel the clip. Get the hook behind the clip, and gently pry the clip away from the trim. You'll feel the trim release from the clips.

Here's what is happening behind the trim:

31736620107_large.jpg

31736620108_large.jpg

Work slowly and make sure you release all the clips before you pull on the trim, otherwise you will easily damage it. It is made of anodized aluminum, and is rather fragile.

Start at the bottom of each side, doing the sides first, then the piece across the top of the windshield.

Don't get mad if some of the clips break, it's old brittle plastic, and likely to happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Stickied.

I will also add that E-Bay sometimes has good deals on boxes of these clips. The parts store is expensive and will sell you 2-5 clips for $5.

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Nice write up, Blake.
Thanks for posting that.

Jack

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Glad I could help... 8)

After a few years and a few dozen cars worth of straightening and repairing mostly stainless trim, but some aluminum in there too...
If I can help somebody avoid damaging it, I will!

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
Thanks again Blake. Got the trim off no problem and only 2 broken clips and one missing altogether. Just need to pin point the leak now. It was not clearly apparent when the trim was removed. I'm concentrating on the top of the windshield because the leak is worst when the car just sits as opposed to while driving.

Another Q - I noticed that many of the clips on my car are kind of embedded in the window sealant. Is it safe to carefully cut some of this away to remove the clips? It's the only way I can see to get the broken ones off and new ones in.

I'll post some pics of progress...should I add them here or into my original thread?

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
So, I finally got this done and wanted to add a couple things.
It really was pretty easy getting the trim off, thanks again Blake.
This is the tool I used-it worked but I think the 'ears' on this one are a bit short. I also think one could make a tool in the garage for this.

244u1i0.jpg

I only broke 2 clips during removal, but I was kind of sweating having to find new ones. Turns out my local parts store (Lordco for you Canadians) has a whole rack of fasteners by a Montreal company called Geno. They have every fastener you could probably think of, lol. Pack of 6 for $3.23.

15n0s2x.jpg

I DID find some rot in the channel, that was the reason for the leaks. I will be doing this again :evil:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor