How to replace turn signal lever???

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.Rod22

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
Georgia
Hey everybody,

I was wondering how to replace the turn signal lever on my 88 Cutlass. I can use my turn signals but I think the switch is broken because I cant use my windshield wipers. I have the delay wipers but when I turn the piece at the end of the switch for the wipers to come on it doesnt work. The piece can spin all the way around and but it feels like there is no resistance thats why I think its broken. If you guys think that the switch is actually broken how do I replace it? Do I have to take the steering wheel off or can I just pull the lever out as is and fish the wire in?

bigblockfrank

Greasemonkey
Mar 24, 2009
mt.vernon, ky
the steering wheel, will need to be removed. im thinking the lever is held in by a phillips head screw.
i love that cutlass in your sig.

J.Rod22

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
Georgia
bigblockfrank said:
the steering wheel, will need to be removed. im thinking the lever is held in by a phillips head screw.
i love that cutlass in your sig.

Thanks I just got it back from being painted and now I cant drive it because I cant use my wipers and its been raining lately so I dont want to take any chances.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
Your car has this style lever . Go under dash unplug the small connector it has a small hole in it .Tie a string to the end . Twist and pull the lever out and pull the string up thru the column.
Tie the string to the new one and pull the wire back down thru the column.No need to remove the wheel.

Attachments

• imagesCATD508Z.jpg
    imagesCATD508Z.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 4,104

J.Rod22

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
Georgia
tc1959 said:
Your car has this style lever . Go under dash unplug the small connector it has a small hole in it .Tie a string to the end . Twist and pull the lever out and pull the string up thru the column.
Tie the string to the new one and pull the wire back down thru the column.No need to remove the wheel.

Yes thats the exact one that I have. Thanks thats exactly what I wanted to hear I sure didnt want to pull the wheel off.

bigblockfrank

Greasemonkey
Mar 24, 2009
mt.vernon, ky
sorry Jeezycol about infor, i did mine the hard way. :blam:

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Aug 7, 2013
Québec City, Québec CANADA
tc1959 said:

Useful tip! I like the string part. Worked very well for me.

littlerascle59

Master Mechanic
Jul 2, 2009
Mississippi
Jeezycol said:
Hey everybody,

I was wondering how to replace the turn signal lever on my 88 Cutlass. I can use my turn signals but I think the switch is broken because I cant use my windshield wipers. I have the delay wipers but when I turn the piece at the end of the switch for the wipers to come on it doesnt work. The piece can spin all the way around and but it feels like there is no resistance thats why I think its broken. If you guys think that the switch is actually broken how do I replace it? Do I have to take the steering wheel off or can I just pull the lever out as is and fish the wire in?
Sounds more like you need this part.
Part Number: SW4263
Warranty: Limited Lifetime

http://m.autozone.com/autozone-mobi...shield-Wiper-Switch/_/N-ijbufZ9cip8?id=827933
I posted the part number just in case the link doesn't take you directly to it. It's the switch that the turn signal/wiper/cruise control/high beam-lever pushes into. It's actually what spins to control the speed of your wiper motor not the lever itself. I once thought the same thing but it's not the lever.

littlerascle59

Master Mechanic
Jul 2, 2009
Mississippi
Another thing is the turn signal lever just pulls outta there, might have to snatch it out.
But just for know how, here are the tools you'll need if you're removing your steering wheel. I'm not sure if the non sport wheels have a lock plate but the sport wheels do.
11EF58BE-9143-45D5-993E-21D4A428FCA3-26372-00000354E6DDC711_zps4c793f45.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor