how to scan obd1

Status
Not open for further replies.

84slow

Greasemonkey
Feb 6, 2017
Ontario.Ca
So when I first picked up my cutlass it had a service engine soon light. I took the bulb out cause she still runs like a Cadillac.. so I tried today crossing the 2 top right pins with electrical wire,paper clip,big flat head screwdriver. And I get no code flashes and yes I put the bulb back in to test. No flash's. I know on newer GM's the cigarette lighter fuse controls the obd 2 power so I checked mine fuses just Incase but they look fine.

Cars a 84 cutlass 3.8l if it helps

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
connect terminals A and B of the diagnostic connector and turn your ignition key on with engine off and the codes should start to blink

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

84slow

Greasemonkey
Feb 6, 2017
Ontario.Ca
connect terminals A and B of the diagnostic connector and turn your ignition key on with engine off and the codes should start to blink
I've done that. But starting to think there's a issue with cluster cause seat belt light doesn't even come on or choke light

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Do you have gauges and they quit working since the SES light came on? I had a simular issue back on the '90's. Mine came on & lost my gauges. Kept blowing the gauge fuse (circuit 39.) I checked everything, gauges, conections, wires, ground points, then the computer. The computer is tied into that circuit, I yanked the computer & bulb, everything worked fine & quit blowing fuses. I had something short out in the computer that kept blowing the circuit. I still passed emmisions & the guys at the Pep Boys I worked at even used it to pass a few newer cars.

84slow

Greasemonkey
Feb 6, 2017
Ontario.Ca
The gauges still work like speedo and gas and illumination light still works. But I will check out the fuses again tomorow cause no door ajar or anything like choke seat belt light lights up and low fuel

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
Hmm curious. Never know what the previous owner did. If it's not a fuse, I would guess it's something in the cluster. Could be hard to diagnose it's its something with the ECM other than the fuse.

http://www.maliburacing.com/wiring.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor