How to stop wheel hop questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

dickeymoore

G-Body Guru
May 6, 2009
Atlanta,Georgia
I have a 1980 Chevy Monte Carlo that has a 7.5 positraction rear end in it just installed now I'm getting wheel hop can I eliminate the wheel hop with aftermarket trailing arms or what?

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
What positraction unit did you install? Does it only axle hop when turning or is it happening while going straight?
If you are running a Auburn cone style or Eaton clutch style posi unit they require a limited slip additive to prevent "chatter" or axle hopping when turning.

Last edited:

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Just a quick Google search of "GM G-body wheel hop" yielded 5 threads on this very forum. Coincidence? :unsure:

• Haha
  • Winner
Reactions: 2 users

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
So is it safe to say you took the entire axle housing out of the 80 and replaced it with the axle housing from the 87?
If so when you tightened up the mounting bolts on the control arms did you final tighten them at full droop or with the weight of the car on them?

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
Wheel hop, alway always always means check your shocks

Reactions: 1 users

dickeymoore

G-Body Guru
May 6, 2009
Atlanta,Georgia
So do I need to Jack the car back up put jack stands on the frame let the rear end droop and loosen the control arm bolts then Jack the rear end up and support it and then tightened up the trailing arms bolts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor