How to swap different types of rears into G-bodies

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
Not great for drag. Better at pretty much everything else.
The 99-04 Cobra IRS was a by design, a compromised set up as they were designed to fit within the set confines of the existing Mustang platform. I knew guys who autocrossed them and the geometry was not ideal. A well set up solid axle Mustang does much better than they do with the 99-04 irs. About the only thing they do better is ride quality.

Reactions: 1 user

Macguyver

SOUTHSIDE MACHINE PERFORMANCE
GBodyForum Sponsor
Mar 21, 2017
Reactions: 1 user

Macguyver

SOUTHSIDE MACHINE PERFORMANCE
GBodyForum Sponsor
Mar 21, 2017

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Is there anything that was designed that way by chevy. Like an IRS afterthought that could more-or-less bolt in on the GBody? like a corvette reared or a cobra rearend?
I'm not familiar with the Mustang set up. But the idea of adapting a C2/C3 design into something that looks & functions as if it was on the drawling board in the early-mid '70's is what I have thought of over the years. Working it into a bolt in cradle that doesn't clutter up the what could be usable space is one thing I would try. Then trying to figure out a mono leaf, coil overs or just regular coils/shocks. Besides using the control arm mounts use the coil pockets to be used for additional mounting points. One issue I can't figure out what kind a exhaust clearance would there be. Wish I had the drawling skills to try to draw it up.

Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
If you can find a dana 44 manual c4 rear suspension it might work, but swapping in an auto dana 35 center section is worthless.

I have seen people IRS swap 4th gen F bodies but what do you get when you swap a 99 z28 t56 ls1 camaro? A corvette.

Reactions: 2 users

GroceryGetter83

LS Mafia
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2018
Tampa, Florida
I'm excited to get this under the car

IMG_4589.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor