How to, temporary lock up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
Well I just put a 700r4 behind my small block, I was told that the lock was eliminated on this transmission. I would like to verify that by maybe hooking up a switch to it and see if it engages lock up or not. I know they make a kit for that but I would like to know if it has it before I bought a kit. How would go about hooking that up? Does 12v activate it?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
go to 37.10 on the video, it shows a kit but it's simple I think you can make you own

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
OMG it cant be that simple? just give it power, ground and the trans does lock up on its own?

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
Or pull the pan and see if the lock up wiring is there or if it's connected. hopefully they did the conversion on the pump to non lock up too if this is the case.

I probably should've thought of that before but its in the car with fluid now, so Id hate to do that. At first I didn't think anything of it but I was also told the lock up was eliminated and it had a 2200 stall, Ive never had a stall converter before but when its idling at 800 and I put it in gear the trans engages like any other non stall Ive had. Don't know if that's normal but its whats making me want to check on the lock up as well.

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
He wont know. He bought the trans the way it is and then sold it to me when he didnt use it. He did tell me that all he knows is what they told him so he gave it me cheap

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
So for anybody Interested in knowing I found the same info in a few places. The 700 just needs power and ground and lock up is automatic when it goes into 4rth. some years have a temp sensor that needs to be hooked up or the 2 wires can be but connected together unless you live in an extreme cold environment its not necessary.
You can get a little bit of shutter when you hit the brakes until it down shifts, to eliminate that is simple, add a relay to the wire giving the trans and hook it to the brake switch so that when you tap the brake pedal you cut power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor