How useful are they really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechanic80

Not-quite-so-new-guy
The catalytic converter, I mean. My 231 V6 was wondering if I ran a dummy cat with the smog pump in place and working can I expect any HP increase? Are the newer, smaller cats less restrictive? Leave it well enough alone? Looking for some input.

Reactions: 1 user

Mac442

Master Mechanic
Apr 25, 2020
Ocean County, NJ
Honestly, it won’t make much of a difference in terms of power on the 231. I don’t find that most aftermarket cats are really restrictive, however, one thing you may want to watch out for with a cheap aftermarket cat is that the catalyst or honeycomb material maybe break apart and rattle around in the cat after a while, especially if you are running hot or out of tune I believe.

I’d leave what you have or stick with a good, oem replacement cat.

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
Random tech is the converters I usually use. Haven't done one in a while but I like them and they breathe really well. The original is really restrictive because they hadn't nailed it down yet. If yours is original it may not even has e guts in it anymore. My 78 didn't. There's a "removable" plug on the bottom meant for service. You could pull it and check. A service manual will tell you how

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor