How Was Your Summer With The G Body?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I work on the car in the winter but the summer tests the car so I do some corrections and upgrades through the summer. I don't tackle time consuming work on the GP in the summer if not needed as I like to drive it. The summer weather sucked here but I got a few things ironed out which is good, even though I had some unexpected electrical glitches. Now for the winter I can just focus on a few things that are needed and then maybe I'll do something with the paint but I'm not sure of what to do. It was matte but too many cars come from the factory with the matte paint, they copied me, so I want something different.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
I've never had my own garage, but I was able to get everything important done this spring luckily, and I had a great time with it this summer. Even though my numbers on the "Mustang" brand dyno were a bummer, it didn't stop me from having some great experiences. I attended my first track day, I got to autocross a moderate-speed course in the rain, and I learned a great precious deal about controlling oversteer which I was able to directly implement at the following low-speed course months later! Got all kinds of sideways on the Coopers, but never backwards or stationary once! (Gotta love those rookie accomplishments. lol) But winter, as usual, will be relegated to brainstorming and research.
I have some ideas for paint as well (probably going to make the bottom half white at some point). I feel you on the "they copied me" sentiment. Felt the same way a few years back when Corvette Grand Sport hash marks caught on like wildfire. :haha: I still like them though.
Let me know if you get any crazy ideas for the paint.

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
I work on the car in the winter but the summer tests the car so I do some corrections and upgrades through the summer. I don't tackle time consuming work on the GP in the summer if not needed as I like to drive it. The summer weather sucked here but I got a few things ironed out which is good, even though I had some unexpected electrical glitches. Now for the winter I can just focus on a few things that are needed and then maybe I'll do something with the paint but I'm not sure of what to do. It was matte but too many cars come from the factory with the matte paint, they copied me, so I want something different.

I'm with you I try not to do anything big to the car in the summer that will create downtime. I did the 200-4R early in the year and the C-5 brakes. I did not drive the car as much as I would have liked but I will next season. The brakes haven't been so great since I lost them. I think the mc may be bad. I'll pick one up soon and then go rear disc this winter and then should be good.

At this point I have the car running great and don't want to mess with that. So really brakes and exhaust are on the agenda.

Reactions: 1 users

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
I enjoyed spending time with my son in, on & under the car this summer. He's 16 and never really paid that much attention to it before this year.
So even though I didn't sort out my carb, get the AC fixed ( again ! ), hook up the parking brake or swap out the posi unit, he's been there by my side. He was wanting to hit a couple car shows a week and willing wrench on whatever needs wrenching. Now he's actually asks to hit up a few of the yards to see what we can find on his days off school :) That makes me happy !

Reactions: 5 users

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
I enjoyed spending time with my son in, on & under the car this summer. He's 16 and never really paid that much attention to it before this year.
So even though I didn't sort out my carb, get the AC fixed ( again ! ), hook up the parking brake or swap out the posi unit, he's been there by my side. He was wanting to hit a couple car shows a week and willing wrench on whatever needs wrenching. Now he's actually asks to hit up a few of the yards to see what we can find on his days off school :) That makes me happy !

I don't have kids but working on the car with my Dad were the best years of wrenching. I love seeing the father son projects/ fiddling with the cars.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Got to spend plenty of time with it as my daily driver. Have put just under 8,000 miles on it this year.

Added new window seals, 5 speed, replaced the "burnout tire" twice, firebird seats, LED headlights, all other exterior lights converted to LED, and G-force cross member.

Also managed to get an external coolant leak through the passenger head gasket, hole in radiator, blown rear brake line, 4 broken body mount bolts, a few places on the body with bubbly rust and a few new holes in the floor pan.

Aaah, classic car ownership...

Reactions: 2 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Had a great summer racing, a little mishap 4th of July but back at the track the following weekend.

IMG_5558.JPG

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Horrible! I couldn't go anywhere in the wagon without drawing attention... so much for building a sleeper. ;) The girls loved it so mission accomplished - next we up the power and start marching toward a 10.99 timeslip.

I was happy to get the Monte project off the ground too. Lots work to do this Winter as time allows. Twin turdbos!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor